The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

I cannot disagree with the wording of the Rule Book and the funny book. But, interpret the words and the Case Book situation and add in the fact our concern is safety of the players.

That fact a player is lined up seven yards from the LOS in a position to punt and his actions do not indicate otherwise, he is afforded protection such that when he places himself in a position where injury is possible, he cannot be charged, irregardless of whether a kick has met the definition.

The interpretation is the punter who is at a disadvantage in protecting himself from a charging opponent gets special protection through the rules.

The examples that comes to mind is the punter who has started his motion when a defender charges across his kicking leg as he extends it before striking the ball and the defender never touches the ball. Or, even worst, the holder sitting on the ground setting the ball for the kicker to kick when a defender from the blind-side creams that holder before the kicker has a chance to kick the ball.

Do you not call it roughing because the ball has not been kicked? Is that what the rules writers want?
Old Tue Jun 04, 2002, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

So using this logic , I assume you'll call roughing the passer if a team is in a passing situation and a player is in a shot-gun or droping back to pass and he gets hit before releaceing the ball ? He may be running around with his arm cocked , looking down field for a open receiver . He may even have his arm in motion when he gets hit .We all know he wants to pass the ball . But it can't be roughing the passer unless he's already passed the ball . This is a contact sport where all players are exposed to injury . We can't penalize a player just because he's made a good play on a unprotected player who just happens to be in a position where he's vulnerable to injury . I feel that is why we're given a set of definitions to use as a guide as when we need to protect certain players . A punter has 10 other players at his disposal to protect him from being hit before he has a chance to kick the ball . A player setting up to pass has the same . A holder has special protection also .The rules makers have provided us a guideline with rule #2 to help us determine when these players need that special protection . I feel we should use them . IMHO
Old Tue Jun 04, 2002, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

This debate could go on forever. I am going to make this my last post on this subject.

Take a look at James Dixon's column on officiating.com "General Rules Concepts of National Federation" where he excerpts Kyle MeNeely's column on the philosophy of NFHS. Remember, this is the same NFHS that sets high school football rules.

Our job is to provide for the safety of these young men and in some cases women who play the game. Football is a contact sport but, most important, it is a sport where young people are suppose to learn fair play.

I am sure the NFHS, the coaches, the players and their parents want us to insure the safety. The last thing you want is an unnecessary injury to impact the life of a player who has a remaining life expectancy of almost 60 years.

The rules serve as a guide to assist us in keeping fair play and safety in what could be a dangerous game. While I am not certain exactly the interpretation of NFHS on the aforementioned play, my belief is most involved in the game would like a liberal interpretation of the rule because it protects the players.

Check with your local interpreter for his opinion.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2002, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Ed, I think you are correct on the point of safety, but not about the foul called. You could still have a foul for unnecessarily rough contact, a personal foul, but not roughing the kicker. Remember the definition of kicker is someone who has kicked the ball, not intends to kick it. The defender does have reasonble certainty of an impending kick, and should use caution when approaching the player in position to kick, lest there be a foul. Just what foul you call though depends on what action took place.

The difference in the foul called is 15 yards and the automatic first down for roughing, versus only the 15 yards for PF.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

There is no horse so dead that you can't beat it one more time

I know I am probably re-opening old wounds, but I just had a clinic with Rogers Redding and I asked posed this situation to him. He agreed that a kicker is not a kicker until the ball is kicked, so you can't have a roughing call. Just thought I would throw gas on an old fire.

Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-