The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Question

Football is just around the corner. I was reading some interpretations and it reminded me of a situation last year. JV HS footbal game. The kicking team kicked a high short ball to R45. The front line just turned and ran to there positions. The kicking team ran and caught the ball in the air. The receiving team had players in the area.
The crew awarded the kicking team the football. I claim it is fair catch interference. I believe a free kick has to be touched or grounded after it goes 10 yds for kicking team to recover. Any thoughts?
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

You are correct . This would be "kick catch interference" unless the ball had already been touched by R when K gained possesion . K may only recover a free-kick after it has both touched the ground and gone beyond the plane of R's free-kick line . The two requirements may occur in any order
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
Along these lines...Anyone have any helpful "hoppers" or other simple ways to help us to organize our thoughts when it comes to the kicking game? I'm starting my 3rd year this year and now that I'm a little more comfortable on the field, I've made it a goal to really understand all the things that can happen during free kicks and scrimmage kicks.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Free Kick variation.

You are absolutely correct. This is kick catching interference by the kicking team as long as the kick has not touched the ground.

But please be careful. In our league some teams are known to try the following variation of the pouch free kick:

The kicker will tee up the ball but instead of kicking the ball low so it will pop up high into the air, he will kick the ball near its top, causing it to bounce off the ground and then high into the air.

Covering officials need to be aware of this variation because as we all know once the free kick hits the ground several things change immediately: the kicker and holder can be legally blocked; the receiving team no longer has the benefit of being protected by the kick-catching interference rules; and the kicking team has the opportunity to legally recover the kick because it has already touched the ground. You may either have first touching by K (R's ball at the spot of first touching) or if the ball has traveled 10 yards (and has already been grounded if this variation is used) K can recover the kick and it will be K's ball (unless there was first touching).

This is why I am still in favor of having the umpire in the middle watching the kicker even in a 5 man crew. We use a 6 man crew here on Maui so the R and U are already in the middle.

Anybody else see this version of a free kick?
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was a pooch kick, not a pouch kick!
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

"I thought it was a pooch kick, not a pouch kick!"

Maybe they're playing Australian Rules.

Bob
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Pooch? Pouch? Ouch!!!

Thanks guys...

As you can see I'm red in the face...

And what makes this even more embarassing is I scored higher on my verbal SATS...
Old Wed Jun 26, 2002, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Angry POOCH Kick

I've become to dependant on spell check, notice my red face.
Careful Mike. The holder and kicker do not automatically loose protection. The rules protect the kicker and holder untilthey are abel to protect themselves.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2002, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Re: POOCH Kick

Quote:
Originally posted by ccbestul
Careful Mike. The holder and kicker do not automatically loose protection. The rules protect the kicker and holder untilthey are abel to protect themselves.
When Mike says they can be legally blocked, I think he's already considered that they are able to protect themselves and are now pursuing the ball.

I've never seen roughing the kicker on a kick off.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

"And what makes this even more embarassing is I scored higher on my verbal SATS..."

Verbal tests aren't worth the paper they're (not) written on.

Bob
Old Wed Jun 26, 2002, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Protection for kicker and holder...

Thanks guys.

You helped me recognize the NFHS intent of the rule regarding protection of the kicker and holder on free kicks. The overriding factor should always be that they have special protection until they have regained their balance and have moved to participate in the play.

The other criteria: kick has been grounded, kicker and holder have moved 5 yards beyond their free kick line, etc. should be secondary to player safety.

I only saw roughing the kicker once on a free kick. A high school team had a female kicker (she recently kicked 3 extra points in a semi-pro game) who once kicked off and the other team sent a "head-hunter" to go after her. She retreated about 5 yards trying to get away from him but he succeeded in "pancaking" her to the turf. He got flagged because she was off-balance and not moving to participate in the play.

To her credit she did make a few tackles during the course of the season and she really loves the sport.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2002, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Well good for her ! And shame on them . As a father who's daughter played on a team with all boys , I know the fortitude it takes for a lady to play this game . And speeking of ladys playing football , I just got the call telling me I've been chosen to work Ump in the IWFL Championship game July 6 in Ashland Or. Teams comming from New York and Texas I believe . These women play some pritty good ball , and the games are relatively foul free .
You know .....I love this game , no matter who's playing !
Old Thu Jun 27, 2002, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Good job James!

Congrats on being selected to officiate at the championship game! Hawaii was supposed to field a team but for financial reasons they had to abandon the idea. Here on Maui over 50 young ladies showed up for try-outs.

Please share your experiences with us after the game.
Old Sun Jun 30, 2002, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Two years ago a young lady did the placekicking for the Barstow (CA) High School Varsity. I believe she set a school record for consecutive extra points. Missed one the entire season. She also did very well on field goals.

Bob