The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

U. S. Flag on Uniform

I need to put a flag on my left sleeve. How high on the sleeve does it go? Did search but searching for a posting with FLAG in it in FB forum creates a lot of hits. Searched local by-laws and books for about 5 mins and decided it would be quicker just to ask here. Thanks.

Mregor
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 11:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Do a search in the basketball forum by authro BillyMac. He has a link that talks about the US flag on uniforms.

IIRC, the US flag code does not allow for the flag to be put on officiating uniforms. However, I don't think anyone will enforce it, whatever that means.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 11:55pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

Quote:
  • The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations. (Note that on Army uniforms, where the flag is put on the sleeve of the uniform, the flag patch is displayed with the stars facing forward, in the direction the wearer is facing. This is done to give the impression of the flag flowing in the wind while being carried forward across the battlefield. This is known as the "Reverse Field Flag." Also note that many athletic teams appear to have ignored this rule, notably, the 2008 US Olympic Team, Major League Baseball placed the flag on the back of all uniforms following the 9/11 attacks, and the US team in the 2006 World Baseball Classic wore a flag patch on their left sleeve. For Independence Day and 9/11 2008, with the exception of the Toronto Blue Jays, all MLB teams will wear navy-blue versions of their hats, with an American flag imposed inside their own logo.) Flag lapel pins may also be worn (they are considered replicas) and are worn near the heart.
http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...ode#post523210

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...ode#post494086
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JugglingRefereeNote that on Army uniforms, where the flag is put on the sleeve of the uniform, the flag patch is displayed with the stars facing forward, in the direction the wearer is facing. This is done to give the impression of the flag flowing in the wind while being carried forward across the battlefield. This is known as the "Reverse Field Flag."[/QUOTE]
Our crew has flags on our left sleeve and we follow this "Reverse Field Flag" rule. I picked up the flags at the local American Legion office and was told about it. We get lots of questions from coaches wondering why we put our flags on backwards.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
Our crew has flags on our left sleeve and we follow this "Reverse Field Flag" rule. I picked up the flags at the local American Legion office and was told about it. We get lots of questions from coaches wondering why we put our flags on backwards.
If the flag is on your left sleeve the star field should be to the left, or forward. This is not backwards. The reverse would be when displayed on the right sleeve.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
IIRC, the US flag code does not allow for the flag to be put on officiating uniforms. However, I don't think anyone will enforce it, whatever that means.
What are ya, some kinda commie pink-0?

Actually, I agree and have made this observation. Can't fight the tide though. We all have to be patriots - even if it means violating the flag code. What the hell does the American Legion know about flags anyway?
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 07:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
What are ya, some kinda commie pink-0?
No; I just like knowing about things.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 10:40am
Chain of Fools

Talking

JR- I figured you were gonna give us the Canadian version of how to wear the flag patch.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 10:56am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
JR- I figured you were gonna give us the Canadian version of how to wear the flag patch.
CANADIAN RULING:

The Maple Leaf shall be right side up.

Don't forget, the field of stars should always be towards the front of the uniform wearer.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
If the flag is on your left sleeve the star field should be to the left, or forward. This is not backwards. The reverse would be when displayed on the right sleeve.
Correct...my bad...it is on the right sleeve
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 11:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
CANADIAN RULING:

The Maple Leaf shall be right side up.

Don't forget, the field of stars should always be towards the front of the uniform wearer.
TOO FUNNY!!!!! Posts of the month!
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've never understood the flag patch. I've never seen anyone wear one on their street clothes but they are somewhat popular on officiating uniforms. All of a sudden because we are on the athletic field/court we have to show everyone that....I'm not even sure but I will guess patriotic. I do not understand how that has anything to do with sports officiating.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 10:48pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
I do not understand how that has anything to do with sports officiating.
I completely agree with your point of view.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
I've never understood the flag patch. I've never seen anyone wear one on their street clothes but they are somewhat popular on officiating uniforms. All of a sudden because we are on the athletic field/court we have to show everyone that....I'm not even sure but I will guess patriotic. I do not understand how that has anything to do with sports officiating.
State Assns have the policy. NCAA has the policy.

Gold trim if worn by member of military (or veteran), white trim if you're a complete b*****d and have never served your country except driving your Hummer at 90 mph in a school zone.

The star field is closest to the heart. (per, VFW)
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 12:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ
State Assns have the policy. NCAA has the policy.

Gold trim if worn by member of military (or veteran),
Is this a local thing? I've never heard of this differentiation. I've just moved to my third area, though, and this one has a very high military presence, so I should check on it. I couldn't tell you right now what color the trim is on my uniform patch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ
The star field is closest to the heart. (per, VFW)
I've not heard this one, either. I've only heard the (essentially) Army rationale for wearing the flag on the right sleeve (place of honor) with the "backward" look (to give the appearance of the flag moving forward).