The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Illegal Forward Pass

My first varsity game as a WH last night. QB rolls to the right, I move parallel to the line with him. He then starts running forward and then passes the ball. I moved forward with him as he moved forward. The QB was close to the line, so I bag the spot. My U has also bagged the spot, about 1/2 a yard farther than me. He threw the flag, and I waved it off.

My question: Do I, as the R, have any business making this call, or should I have left it completely up to my U?

Thanks - just trying to learn my new position.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"

Last edited by MNBlue; Tue Sep 02, 2008 at 10:23am.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

It can be either the U, R, or a wing, just get it right. The R should be trailing the QB, so we can easily have the call.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

I'd ask someone in your area what your mechanics on the situation is for your group. Around here, it's the R's call all the way. He may get help from the U, maybe even from the wings. But it's the R's call, the U should not be throwing the flag on this one.
What I do is, as I'm following the QB I take a snap shot of where he is when he releases the ball. Don't worry about the line yet, just get to that spot. In most cases you can just finish the play there, because your primary responsibility remains the QB and the ball is downfield with the players usually moving there too. Then just look to the box to see where your line is. If you are over enough, drop your flag, there's nothing wrong with a slow flag for this call. If for some reason you have to move off the spot, just look before you go.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

This is my third year working as R in HS. My former position was umpire. I feel that the referee should own this call and the umpire should provide back up in case the referee did not see it. This is such a huge call that the crew must get it right. The umpire has to watch for inelligbles downfield and he must turn on short passes over the middle.

As R, I trail the QB on the play, then I sprint to the exact location of his feet when he releases the ball. I will throw a flag or not. I don't bean bag these plays since the bean loses precision anyway if you toss it a couple of yards.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 11:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
My first varsity game as a WH last night. QB rolls to the right, I move parallel to the line with him. He then starts running forward and then passes the ball. I moved forward with him as he moved forward. The QB was close to the line, so I bag the spot. My U has also bagged the spot, about 1/2 a yard farther than me. He threw the flag, and I waved it off. No one cared except for my U.

My question: Do I, as the R, have any business making this call, or should I have left it completely up to my U?

Thanks - just trying to learn my new position.
CANADIAN MECHANIC:

The side guy on the same side the passer rolled to should have this foul, or the R if the side guy was downfield. Never the U, unless the R 1K% missed it.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 11:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalStripes
This is my third year working as R in HS. My former position was umpire. I feel that the referee should own this call and the umpire should provide back up in case the referee did not see it. This is such a huge call that the crew must get it right. The umpire has to watch for inelligbles downfield and he must turn on short passes over the middle.

As R, I trail the QB on the play, then I sprint to the exact location of his feet when he releases the ball. I will throw a flag or not. I don't bean bag these plays since the bean loses precision anyway if you toss it a couple of yards.
Do you practice flag throwing? Bean bag throwing?

I love how the NFL guys always land the flag at spot of foul. That doesn't come without practice.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalStripes
If your U is moving to the LOS when he reads pass, he should be able to do both, plus watch for illegal blocking and for the passer crossing the LOS. No one is in a better position. Trailing the QB, I don't see how the R is going to know where those feet are at the instance the ball is thrown. It's no different than the U trying to call encroachment on the defense.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

In all my years of officiating I have never heard of the R having this call. He's probably 4-5 yards BEHIND the QB while the U at a minimum (and the HL or LJ if they are on the LOS reading a scramble) have a perfect view of this. The ultimate responsibility is the U on a 5-man crew.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Rarely, when there is more than 1 bean bag, do they ever wind up on the exact same spot. IFP is never a quick flag, and the Umpire should have observed that other flag and sought information BEFORE unleashing his flag.

However, this is still just another situation where one official saw, or thought he saw something, and another official saw something different. I hope there was a serious discussion between both officials before a final decision was made.

If one official is adamant that he saw something, that the other official may not have seen, or saw somewhat differently, you have to go with what was actually seen over what may not have been. IFP is usually a "big" penalty and either way, the crew needs to yield to whomever is the most adamant about what he actually saw.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
In all my years of officiating I have never heard of the R having this call. He's probably 4-5 yards BEHIND the QB while the U at a minimum (and the HL or LJ if they are on the LOS reading a scramble) have a perfect view of this. The ultimate responsibility is the U on a 5-man crew.
In a crew of five, (excluding any GL procedures) I feel the wing's first responsibilty has to be the receivers and should not come back toward the LOS until they are certain the QB is beyond the LOS - so I do not expect help from them. The U can help if the QB is between him and the box - but to the LJ side he has no reference point. I know he steps up on pass, but it is guess as to whether he is exactly on the line.

I agree with MikeL - R needs to take charge just as he describes. The old days of R staying in the middle of the field and never moving is over. He has to be mobile enough to cover this play!

I made a huge assumption on this play - I am assuming the original read was pass - not option. After re-reading the post, I could not tell.

Last edited by dumbref; Sun Aug 31, 2008 at 06:57pm.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Here in the UK, our mechanics have been the same for a number of years...

6/7 man crew - LJ stays at LOS till pass is thrown. He takes the Illegal pass call. he has the down box opposite him and he is in a great position to make the call.
4/5 man crew - Ump moves up to LOS on passes. He takes the Illegal pass call. If it is between U and the down box then flag it when you see it. If not, bag it and check it after the play is over, then flag it.

We feel U is in a better position to see this than R who is trailing the play. Yes the U has other duties on passes (ineligibles, inside-out help on complete/incomplete) but clearly the illegal pass would take priority.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbref
I made a huge assumption on this play - I am assuming the original read was pass - not option. After re-reading the post, I could not tell.
Correct. It was pass all the way. QB chose to run - to the LJ side -when receivers were covered. As he approached the line, a receiver opened up, so he threw.

I was probably 5-8 yards behind the QB when he released the ball.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

I love how the NFL guys always land the flag at spot of foul. That doesn't come without practice.
For the most part, no I don't. But my daughters have a 'bean bag' toss game that, when they play with me, they generally quit because they lose badly.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 09:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
For the most part, no I don't. But my daughters have a 'bean bag' toss game that, when they play with me, they generally quit because they lose badly.
HAHA. And glad to hear that you spend time with your children!
Old Sun Aug 31, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

I just learned this weekend that I need practice. I had my first college FB experience; I was the FJ in a scrimmage, and my flag on a DPI came up almost ten yards short!! Any advice as to how I can get the flag to fly better? I'm thinking of wrapping the ball with white tape...