The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Back Pedal

I'm new to the V. Linesman position this year and have a question for those more experienced wingman.

How many of you back pedal on a normal basis on the sideline? or do you sidestep more often? any hints on how best to be moving on the sideline. And how much or do you cheat downfield on passing situations?

Thanks
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 03:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGref
I'm new to the V. Linesman position this year and have a question for those more experienced wingman.

How many of you back pedal on a normal basis on the sideline? or do you sidestep more often? any hints on how best to be moving on the sideline. And how much or do you cheat downfield on passing situations?

Thanks
As a side guy, I only back pedal when moving back into position on the sideline when I moved in to mark forward progress, etc. Sometimes I turn around and run properly. I move mostly in a shuffle from side to side; my frame is always facing the field. To be honest, I love the way that NFL side guys work their positions.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 03:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Now because of our mechanics in my state, there is not much backpedaling in the first place. Our wings stay on the sideline at the start of the play. So there is not much space to backpedal too unless you are moving backwards to get a better look at a play coming directly to your sideline or near the goal line when you do not want to give up the goal line look.

And in our passing coverage, we do not go downfield until all our eligible receivers pass your face. In our mechanics we are not instructed to bust down field on pass plays. Also considering that most high school passes are within a 15 yard range from the LOS, it really is not necessary to do much movement.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

I instruct my wings to try to as much as possible face the play. That means moving laterally for the first five yards.

If they detect a sweep coming in their direction then backpedal diagonally away from the LOS to allow the play to get ahead of you. That should be no more than three steps back. Allow the runner enough room in front of you so that you can see the runner from head to toe, in others words open yourself up to the play.

Never put yourself in position where you have to look over your shoulder.