The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Recently I have seen several calls regarding the over and back rule that just cause you to think, maybe too much, but I thought that I would throw these out to see how the experts feel.

Play 1 – Team A inbounds in the back court after a basket and is under token pressure by team B. As the ball nears center court A1 passes from the back court to A2 who is airborne from the backcourt to the front court when the ball is caught and lands with both feet but sees the trap coming and passes the ball back to A1 who is still in the back court. A2 did not dribble the ball and this is a bang, bang move.

The official calls over and back, the coach screams he needs all three points - the ball was never in the frontcourt!

Play 2 -

The ball is in the frontcourt in the possession of team A. A1 is dribbling around the top of the key and the ball is batted toward the backcourt by B2. A2 under no pressure from the defense is near the mid-court line and:
1)The ball touches him then enters the back court and is recovered by A2
2)Goes into the back court untouched and is recovered by A2
3)The ball could clearly be recovered by A2 in the frontcourt but A2 goes into the backcourt and recovers the ball.

1)I have seen either way
2)Usually no call
3)I have seen either way

In all three scenarios there really is no loss of team control which is a requirement for there to be no over and back call.
I have made calls both ways in these conditions and have had long discussions over what is right with other officials would like some more input.

Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Play 1 Backcourt violation, all three points only apply when driblling from the BC to the FC.

Play 2

1) BC violation, last to touch in FC, first to touch in BC (assuming you mean the ball touches A2 before going in the BC)
2) Legal
3) Legal
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Jay is right on the money with his answers.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, Jay nailed this one. Had Play #2 situation #1 in a Nor-Cal Boys D-2 semi final last week. Mid / late 4th quarter, team B up by 10-12. Team A has the ball in the forecourt, ball is tipped on a pass by B1 and heads towards the backcourt. A2 with both feet touching the forecourt touches the ball (could have even be considered control at that point) and continues a dribble into the backcourt. I call the violation. Team A's coach goes absolutly nuts. Since we were working 3-whistles and I was at the trail position, I am now down court assuming the lead position for the throw in and my partner who was lead and had no view of the play proceeds to get chewed on by the coach. We then have a foul on B1 and are shooting 1/1 (called by the trail in front of the table so no switch). I administer the 1/1 and my partner continued to get chewed on by coach A. A "T" may have been warranted by my partner withheld and we continued. Reviewing the play during post-game, we got it right.

[Edited by ChiliBob on Mar 16th, 2005 at 08:28 PM]