The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Field Goal Responsibilities

After all these years we finally got the fifth official on the field.

My question for you experienced guys what method and/or signals do you use when it is apparent A is attempting a FG to make sure the correct wing moves under the goal post?

Or, do you go over that in your pregame?
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 07:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland

My question for you experienced guys what method and/or signals do you use when it is apparent A is attempting a FG to make sure the correct wing moves under the goal post?

CANADIAN MECHANIC:

In 5-man, the short side official goes with the Back Umpire to rule on the FGA. The short side guy, often obvious, is assigned by the Umpire. The Umpire points (and optional motions to downfield) to the short side guy.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Always go over it in pregame. The R should line up facing the holder. Yard line he is on depends on what you're supervisor wants. The wing facing the back of the R should go under with the BJ. Find out from the coaches if you're kickers are Left or Right footed. This will help you pre-arrange at which end the LJ and H will go under.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland

Yelling his name usually works!

But seriously, ask the coach if his kicker is right or left footed during the pregame meeting with him and share that with the crew. Also be aware that the coach doesn't always give the correct information and they may change kickers depending on the length of the kick.

Now that I think about it - watch the holder and then yell to the appropriate wing official.

Last edited by waltjp; Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 09:10pm.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 09:25pm
Chain of Fools

For our group its always the LJ so no biggie.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

I remind my guys, "if you can see my a**, get to the post!!!!"
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
For our group its always the LJ so no biggie.
Why do you always have the LJ go under? If the R is to the H's side, you have a HUGE problem if they run a fake cuz no one can cover the sideline on the LJ's side. The R would be behind the runners and the L is under the post. That is the reason for the different wing going under, to get proper coverage if there is a fake.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Why do you always have the LJ go under? If the R is to the H's side, you have a HUGE problem if they run a fake cuz no one can cover the sideline on the LJ's side. The R would be behind the runners and the L is under the post. That is the reason for the different wing going under, to get proper coverage if there is a fake.
The U favors the LJ's side of the field. It's not a problem.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

The New Alabama Way

This year Alabama has decided to put the Umpire back with the BJ. (It's been the LJ until this year.) The move was made because of the fear there was not sufficient line coverage when the LJ moved back. The U now moves back and still watches the line for center protections, etc. I'm waiting to see how well this works, especially on a long attempt with time running out. The Referee will have to hold the RFP until the Umpire is in place, and I can hear the screaming already. Not that Umpires are any slower than LJs.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

My question about U going back, other than watching the center, who's going to be watching the pull and shoot with the linemen trying to block the kick. That would have to fall to the H & L. R can't because he has to protect the kicker (he may sneek a look). this will also require that following the kick, H & L will need to get on the field and make let the lineman know they are there.

But, we in Rome......
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

That would be my concern as well. The "R" can't watch all the points where
holding might be occuring. You know it's going on too.

I worked a lot of 5-man (NCAA) and while it was a minor concern, leaving the LJ side open just required a little more hustle in case of a breakdown.

With the NFHS change in mechanics from last year, the open side is covered now by the "R". No more real need to send the Umpire under.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

The recent suggested mechanics revision of either wing official moving downfield based on where the Referee positions himself, to avoid leaving a sideline uncovered seems reasonable. Clearly that should be something discussed in a pre-game, including what signal, reminder or instruction will be given when each situation arises during the game. Actually telling a specific wing official doesn't seem unreasonable, should eliminate any confusion and seems about as fullproof as possible.

As for moving the Umpire, that's something new and worth at least a try, but the obvious disadvantages seem to outweigh the possible advantages, considering that the very nature of most FG situations presents additional focus on line play because of the defense's efforts to disrupt, or block, the attempt.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

We always have the LJ go under. I've never heard of a HL going under, but I guess some places are different. But frankly, I think any mechanic putting the HL under is silly. Who instructs the down box if there's a penalty?

R lines up wide on the open sideline and is ready to cover the sideline on a run. If a pass, the LJ needs to get over to the sideline as quickly as possible and BJ has the end line. This is one area where U may be n the best position to cover the goal line.

Now, if there's a block and its going the other way...

Last edited by Texas Aggie; Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 10:43am.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

5-Man in Nevada, we have the Umpire/BJ underneath. The coverage issues in the middle are a concern but we feel the coverage is needed on the sides for breakdowns or fake plays.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

In our area, it's BJ & LJ always. If the play breaks down and it goes to the LJ side, the LJ & R just have to haul buns.
I would think switching which line guy covers according to where the R's butt is pointing only produces confusion/delay and only gives the R a few yard head start anyway for the "open" sideline coverage.