The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

football bicep bands

Can someone let me know if in illinois high school football are bicep bands not approved. Can the team get an USC penalty or has this been changed. thanks
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Federation says

Rule 1.5.3m (page 25) Uniform adornments. Penalty 15 yards USC (page 26). It would depend on if your state calls BB's adornments.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 03:05pm
M.A.S.H.

I believe this was covered in the rules video.

Illegal.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 03:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

It was covered in the video. It is illegal by rule. It was illegal by IHSA interpretations in the past. It really is that simple.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

They are not supposed to be legal anywhere, but unfortunately occassionaly ignored in my area by some.
Who knows what some other state office might say about it, but lets not even go there. I'm worn out by all this A11 debate.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 08:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
They are not supposed to be legal anywhere, but unfortunately occassionaly ignored in my area by some.
Who knows what some other state office might say about it, but lets not even go there. I'm worn out by all this A11 debate.
From my point of view, this issue was hotly debated long before I knew what the A-11. At least I might never see the A-11 this year. Chances are we will have to deal with these stupid armbands and have to deal with them on a weekly basis in real football games, not just an internet discussion.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

They can wear wristbands (on their wrists). Nothing else.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH
In our area we merely tell the coaches in the pre-game warmups that the arm bands have to go. They are not worn in our area and I know of no penalties thrown for armbands.
We have a mandate for the 2008 season that if the armbands (or any illegal equipment) appear during the game we send them kid out for one play, penalize the team with a 5-yard equipment violation and inform the head coach of the situation. If the same equipment violation occurs again, that kid is ejected and the head coach is given a UC penalty.
Please tell me how you cam justify ejecting a player for wearing an armband. I don't seem to find that in my rule book. Is that a state association interpretation?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Please tell me how you cam justify ejecting a player for wearing an armband. I don't seem to find that in my rule book. Is that a state association interpretation?
They are defined as wrist bands and may not be worn more than 3 inches toward the elbow. If you tell someone they must remove it and they don't follow your instructions it's USC. If they do it again it's a second USC and an automatic ejection. This was a POE last year.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Really? Where?

2007 NFHS FOOTBALL POINTS OF EMPHASIS

PLAYER EQUIPMENT AND UNIFORM ADORNMENTS
A greater focus must be made by coaches, players and officials on players having and properly wearing mandatory football equipment as required by NFHS Football Rules. A parallel focus must also be on not allowing players to wear illegal equipment or adornments.
Through normal observation, officials should attempt to verify that each player is legally equipped prior to the ball becoming live, and if illegal equipment is detected or required equipment is missing, that player must rectify the problem or leave the game.
Prior to the ball becoming live, if the officials are unable to detect the illegal or missing equipment, and the player(s) are observed wearing illegal equipment or participating without the mandatory equipment during the down, a foul must be called.
Helmet: Each player shall wear a helmet with a face mask which met the NOCSAE test standard at the time of manufacture. This helmet shall also have a visible exterior warning label regarding the risk of injury. The helmet shall be secured by a properly fastened chin strap with at least four snaps. The helmet shall not be used as the primary point of contact as in butt-blocking, face-tackling or spearing. Whenever the helmet of a ball carrier comes completely off, the ball becomes dead and the down is ended.
Pants: Knee pads are mandatory equipment that must be worn over the knee and must be of a specified thickness. Pants shall be worn that cover the knee and knee pads. Pants worn that do not meet this requirement becomes an unsportsmanlike foul charged to the head coach for violating his verification that all his players are legally equipped.
Knee Braces: Knee braces are not mandatory equipment. Knee braces may be worn to protect or prevent injury provided they meet the following requirements: They must not be made of hard, unyielding material, unless the hinges are covered on both sides and all of its edges overlap and the braces are worn under the pants. If the covering is not provided by the manufacturer, any portion of the brace that is of a hard material that extends below the pants must be covered. Any other hard substance across the front of the leg must covered with at least ˝ inch of closed-cell, slow-recovery rubber or other material of the same minimum thickness and having similar physical external exposure.
Jersey: A legal jersey is mandatory equipment. The jersey shall be long enough to reach the top of the pants when a player is standing with his arms and hands down to his side. If the jersey is longer than just reaching the top of the pants, then it must be tucked inside the pants. Tear-away jerseys are not legal. Jerseys that cover just the shoulder pads are not legal. Jerseys that reach the top of the pants in length, but are tucked up under the bottom of the shoulder pads are not legal. Jerseys that have been altered resulting in taped or tied knot-like protrusions are not legal. Any hard surface auxiliary attachments to the shoulder pads must be fully covered by the jersey. A bicep pad connected to the shoulder pad must be fully covered by the jersey. Rib pads and back protectors must be fully covered by the jersey. Ball-colored jerseys or a jersey that enhances a player's contact with the ball is not legal.
Towels and Sweatbands: One unmarked moisture-absorbing white towel not less than 4 inches wide and 12 inches in length and no greater than 18 inches in width and 36 inches in width and/or one moisture-absorbing sweatband worn on one or both wrists beginning at the base of the thumb and extending no more than 3 inches toward the elbow are the only two uniform adornments that are legal.
Biceps Pads: May be worn on the upper arms. The plastic material covering this protective pad does not have to be covered if there is no cracked or cutting edge on the plastic surface. If such cracks or cutting edges exist on the plastic surface, the pads would not be legal unless properly covered. If the biceps pads are attached to the shoulder pads, they must be fully covered by the jersey.
Forearm Pads: Forearm pads are auxiliary equipment that may be worn provided they are sanctioned by the umpire as being soft, nonabrasive, or nonhardening material.. They may be anchored on each end by athletic tape. Tape, bandage or support wrap may be worn on the hand or forearm to protect an existing injury if sanctioned by the umpire. If the tape, bandage, or support wrap does not exceed three thicknesses, they may be worn without inspection or approval. Ball-colored pads or gloves are illegal equipment. Penalty-marker colored pads or gloves are illegal equipment. Any transverse stripe on the sleeve below the elbow is illegal.
Play Cards: Are not considered uniform adornments and may be worn on the forearm. (NFHS Interpretation)
Hard Substance (Casts): A cast in its final form may not be worn on the hand, wrist, forearm, or elbow unless it is padded as specified and its wearing is directed in writing by a licensed medical physician. Unless proper authorization is provided by a licensed medical physician, no hard material may be worn on the hand, wrist, forearm or elbow regardless of how well it is padded.
Jewelry: Jewelry shall not be worn. Religious and medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must be taped and may be visible.
Eye Shields: Eye shields which are not totally clear, not molded, or not rigid may not be worn. Eye shields must permit 100% light transmission to be legal. A tinted shield may not be worn even if a physician's letter is available saying the tinted shield is necessary.

Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Grab a 2007 book and look at the POE.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
Partner, this is the 2007 NFHS POE on PLAYER EQUIPMENT AND UNIFORM ADORNMENTS directly from the Rule Book.

And it ain't in there. But I'm still looking!

Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
I believe that's exactly what was posted.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:29pm
Small Business Owner

Quote:
They are defined as wrist bands and may not be worn more than 3 inches toward the elbow....
Actually you can define them as a wrist band or a uniform adorment.
Either way they are illegal when worn other than on the wrist.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH
I explained how it is justified above.
But I will repeat it since you appear confused.

1) Coach is advised in the pre-game any and all uniform adorments or modifiyed equipment must be removed or corrected prior to participation.
2) If detected during play, player is sent out for one play, team recieves 5-yard equipment penalty, coach is notified of situation. (In your state this may be an UC)
3) On second penalty by same player, player is ejected, coach is issued UC.

You won't find it in your rule book. Amazingly enough you won't find the A-11 Offense to be a UC foul or a Travesty in your rule book either.
So you're saying that the NFHS rule book does not tell us to eject players for not removing bicep bands but your state association feels strongly about this, feels it's not good for the game and has taken it upon themselves to take a stand against this?

That's all I need to know! Thanks!

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Aug 13, 2008 at 11:03pm.