The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

New NCAA Clock Rules

Please see #2 below. I am curious as to when the game clock will start as it is not noted here.

3-2-4 (FR-67)
b. 40-Second Clock.

1. When an official signals that the ball is dead, the play clock shall begin a 40-second count.

2. If the 40-second count is interrupted for reasons beyond the control of the officials or the play-clock operator (e.g., clock malfunction), the referee shall stop the game clock and signal (both palms open in an over-the-head pumping motion) that the play clock should be re-set at 40 seconds and started immediately. When will the game clock start?

3. In the event that the 40-second clock is running and the ball is not ready to be snapped after 20 seconds into the count, the referee shall stop the game clock and signal that the play clock be set at 25 seconds. When play is to be resumed, the referee will give the ready-for-play signal [S1] and the play clock shall begin the 25-second count. The game clock will start on the snap (Rule 3-2-5-b).
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

So is this basically an "Official's Clock"; 15 seconds to get the ball RFP?
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4caster
So is this basically an "Official's Clock"; 15 seconds to get the ball RFP?
No, looks like 20 secs. It also looks like a lot of to-do for some minimal variation in time making RFP. It says that team A has until 40 secs. from the last dead ball to put it in play unless it takes longer than 20 sec. to make it RFP, in which case they get 25 secs. + whatever time it took to make it RFP (which is what it had been before). The interval in which they can play it is therefore allowed to vary between 20 & 25 secs. in duration. Hardly seems worth it.

Robert
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Clock Question

OK, how about #2, does anyone know when the clock will start?
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

In #2 the game clock will start when it's supposed to start. If resetting the play clock caused the game clock to stop then they will start simultaneoulsy.

It seems to me that #3 means that if some some reason the officials can't get the ball rfp in time they stop the play clock until they get everything ready and revert to a 25 sec clock.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Play #3 is the one that's going to get everyone's shorts in a knot. There's no really good reason to start the game clock on the snap. Imagine this scenario. A (no time outs remaining), 3rd-8 from his own 10 with 0:15 to go in the half. A32 runs for a huge gain down to B's 4. Covering official stops the game clock for the new series. Play clock resets to 0:40 and begins to run. By the time all players, officials, and the chain crew get downfield, the play clock hits 0:20. R dutifully stops the play clock. Now when everyone's set, he issues the RFP, but the game clock doesn't start. A benefits by getting the full 0:25 to get his play and run it. Doesn't seem fair to me. Can't imagine it will stay this way.

By the way...I wasn't the first to notice this. Saw it on another board.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not an NCAA official (hope to be someday).

This rule seems like it will create more problems than solve. IMO there are better ways to speed up the collegiate game.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Instructions to the play clock operator are crucial. On the long play you had Bob M., the play clock operator can hold the play clock for a couple of seconds. As soon as the guy gets tackled he doesn't have to immediately reset to 40 and start it. He must be deliberate not only on this play but every other play in the game. If the offense lolligags down the field I believe it's their problem, not ours.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFan7
This rule seems like it will create more problems than solve. IMO there are better ways to speed up the collegiate game.
Was that a stated (or unstated but suspected) purpose of that change?
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDeuce
Instructions to the play clock operator are crucial. On the long play you had Bob M., the play clock operator can hold the play clock for a couple of seconds. As soon as the guy gets tackled he doesn't have to immediately reset to 40 and start it. He must be deliberate not only on this play but every other play in the game. If the offense lolligags down the field I believe it's their problem, not ours.
I don't see any rules justif'n for the play clock operator's judgement. I don't think you're going to delay the dead ball signal. And any inconsistency deliberately introduced by the play clock operator would be even worse IMO than the problem Bob M. stated, which is at least predictable.

Robert
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

You always tell the play clock operator of a 40/25 clock to be deliberate after the dead ball signal. If you're looking for a rule to justify that you're going to be looking for a long time.