The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 05, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

NCAA RULES ONLY (Doesn't apply to NFHS)
A's ball, 4th and 3 on B's 7 going in. A 32, the runner, fumbles the ball at the 2 yd line and it rolls into the EZ where it is recovered by end, A 88.
Under the 4th down fumble rule, it is A's ball, first and goal at the spot of the fumble, B's 2 yd line.

When does the clock start and your rule support for your answer??
Old Sun Sep 05, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Oh dear, not again. We batted this question around McGriff's forever. We never got a definitive answer from Adams on the topic.

Basically, there are two ways to look at it:

1) Treat the 4DFR as a foul, which means that it is ignored for clock status purposes. You assume that the fumble recovery is totally valid when starting the clock. Therefore, in your play, since the clock stopped for the "apparent" TD, it would start again on the snap. Several of the veteran NCAA guys said that this is the correct interpretation, and that they'd seen something official on the topic several years back.

2) Note that the 4DFR is NOT a foul, so its effects ARE considered for clock status purposes. In your case, this interpretation would say that the clock stopped only because the line to gain was reached, and so would restart on the ready. This is the interpretation that a strict reading of the rules yields.

Personally, I'm guessing that when an official answer gets handed down, it will be in line with the vets, option #1.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I'm not an old vet unless 11 years of NCAA says I am, but I stopped the clock stopped because of an apparent team-A touchdown.
I'm with roamin'U and start the clock on the snap. That's what I recall as being the interpretation from the past years and not seeing anything since to change that.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2004, 10:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by FBullock
NCAA RULES ONLY (Doesn't apply to NFHS)
A's ball, 4th and 3 on B's 7 going in. A 32, the runner, fumbles the ball at the 2 yd line and it rolls into the EZ where it is recovered by end, A 88.
Under the 4th down fumble rule, it is A's ball, first and goal at the spot of the fumble, B's 2 yd line.

When does the clock start and your rule support for your answer??
Touchdown. (6.3.5.1 and 3.2.1)

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Sep 5th, 2004 at 11:20 AM]