Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Zebra Update

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2007/12/28/zebra-update/
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

The is further evidence that any idiot can have his own blog.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Except this idiot, Paul Lukas, has been doing this a long time and has a regular column on ESPN.com.

He focuses on everything uniform, including the officials. He and I have had some great email conversations and while we disagreed with this particular posting, he's sincere in what he does.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 08:18pm
Chain of Fools

He's actually got a nice blog. He's a big uniform geek- very traditionalist. Hates the "pajama" baseball pants and loves stirrups. Just from what I've read over the past few years, he and I seem to have similar tastes in classic sports uniforms.

I don't dislike the NFL outfits except for the single stripe down the side of the black pants that makes it appear one is in a prison boot camp. They'd look better with either no stripe or maybe a thin, white piping at best.

I'd also prefer the traditional striping of the shirts, even the wider stripes like they last used. I think the shield on the caps is a bit too big and the black hats shouldn't have removed the piping from the middle-front of the cap.

I do hope that shell type LS jacket works its way down to our level soon.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

If it isn't broke...

I totally disagree with the slacks. I think the NFL has cheapened the look of the officials and drawn attention to the officials. The slacks look like what are worn by fill-in officials at an intramural game. The shield on the cap looks cheap and draws more attention to the official. The officials have abused the intent (I think.) which was warmth by using them indoors and in warm temps. The shirts look like they are trying to compete in a style show.

I have worked in temps. as low as 0 degrees F with -20 wind chill and never had problems keeping my legs warm with the simple addition of some long johns.

I have always been told that as soon as you walk on the field that you are judged by your appearance. There is a strong, credible image presented by the traditional officials uniform and that has image has been diminished.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Forksref...I understood that another 'intent' of the new uniforms was to distance themselves from those commercials that showed officials (wearing the old stripes and knicks) in a less than positive manner--stealing beer, conducting stupid training classes, and most lately apologizing for making a bad call over the mike, etc. The new uniforms are 'trademarked' (if that's the right legal term) so that commercial interests can't mimic them in advertisements without the express permission of the NFL.