Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
These answers are great!

Two additional questions.

1) How do you warn the offense the play clock is about to expire? Do you give a 5 or 10 second warning?

2) Given that you start moving backwards and you should be at the goal line when the runner crosses, how do you determine when to turn to move toward the goal line?
The Illinois High School Association requires the back judge to give a visual count at five seconds. We count off five seconds like a basketball official does on a throw-in. See if your state requires something.

Determining when to turn and run to the goal-line is a matter if preference. It is a judgement you make in determining the speed of the ballcarrier, you own personal fleet-of-footness, and the how long of a run you have until the goal line. When the ball carrier breaks free into the secondary I usually turn and get a head start to the goal-line. I rely on the wing to get an accurate progress spot--I'm defending the goal-line! I never really have to think about it during the play. Your instincts will take over and you'll do fine.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
These answers are great!

Two additional questions.

1) How do you warn the offense the play clock is about to expire? Do you give a 5 or 10 second warning?

2) Given that you start moving backwards and you should be at the goal line when the runner crosses, how do you determine when to turn to move toward the goal line?
1- Your association or state should have a prodedure, either holding your hand up, counting the seconds like a basketball official on inbounds plays, or, in some cases, no signal at all. This is done with 5 seconds to go. Find out the procedure in your area.

2- You get to the goal line BEFORE the ball gets there so you are ready to rule TD or not. Get to the line and straddle it. Give the the TD signal just like a wing would do. The goal line is the most important line on the field so GET THERE.

Something in post #12 above reminded me. In order to tell if the TE is covered up, watch the wings' signals regarding "on" or "off" the line. If the TE is covered up, you still have to watch if he goes downfield or not. Your coverage must be coordinated with the wings. Recently, the coverage has changed so that the BJ now has the outside player on the strong side regardless of whether that player is on the line or in the backfield.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
I got a casio watch for $35. It vibrates and you can set it to warn you 5 seconds prior to the 25 seconds. I love it. Much cheaper than the ready ref.
Grant, what is the model number of that Casio watch?
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I may have to change my user ID

Great Topic Ed. I too am switching to B next fall. I had one game last season in that position. I am used to the middle of the field as an umpire ( I await the jokes about an umpire being able to move as a B), but I will have some huge shoes to fill of the official who was our back judge.

WI requires the last 5 seconds of the play clock to be visibly counted as well.

In the one game I did last season, it took a while to get into the pace of relaying the ball. Kicking game was stressed in Pre-game as well.

Good luck in the new position.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Something in post #12 above reminded me. In order to tell if the TE is covered up, watch the wings' signals regarding "on" or "off" the line. If the TE is covered up, you still have to watch if he goes downfield or not. Your coverage must be coordinated with the wings.
THAT is a great point. You do have to take a look at your wings in addition to everything else you scan before the snap.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFBUmp
I am used to the middle of the field as an umpire ( I await the jokes about an umpire being able to move as a B), but I will have some huge shoes to fill of the official who was our back judge.
Well, let's get started: In our area, replacing a wing or R means you will be filling huge shoes. Replacing the U means you will be filling huge knickers!

But, in all seriousness, our association has moved in some younger guys who are not the stereotypical U. Our best one, who did several playoff games is 5-8 and about 150 lbs. and my U is 6-4 and barely 200 lbs.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But, in all seriousness, our association has moved in some younger guys who are not the stereotypical U. .

Unfortunately, I am a stereotypical U. 6'3" -- 285. Fleet and nimble though
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Unfortunately, I am a stereotypical U. 6'3" -- 285. Fleet and nimble though
Usually, the story is about a U who gets flattened during a game. You gotta love the U who causes TE's and linemen to bounce off them! Fleet and nimble on the pivot!
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Usually, the story is about a U who gets flattened during a game. You gotta love the U who causes TE's and linemen to bounce off them! Fleet and nimble on the pivot!

I did get leveled once, 2 years ago. I wish I had video of it. TE across the middle, I was able to sidestep, then got popped by a back out of no where . Backward somersault right back onto my feet and upright. My R couldn't keep a straight face for the next 2 series. I sure will miss the U assignment. I am working on dropping my weight though so I can handle the B position.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did get leveled once, 2 years ago. I wish I had video of it. TE across the middle, I was able to sidestep, then got popped by a back out of no where . Backward somersault right back onto my feet and upright. My R couldn't keep a straight face for the next 2 series. I sure will miss the U assignment. I am working on dropping my weight though so I can handle the B position.
I've been knocked down 3 times in college games, twice as a wing and once as a BJ. As a wing, I made the mistake of getting to close to the pile. I learned that you can make a good spot from a distance. The second time I was in a sideline situation where bodies were flying everywhere and I was trying to get an OOB spot. The third time I was a BJ and some d-back just had to continue to go toward the runner after the play was over. I have learned to keep my distance whenever possible because in college games they up to and beyond the whistle.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, distance is good. That's the issue I have whenever I am out as a wing. As umpire I am used to getting in by the pile to keep things clean. Wings and B need to give a little more room to get a bigger view.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Grant, what is the model number of that Casio watch?
The place where I bought it for no longer offers it. But here is a link to the watch on Casio's site: http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...rts/RFT100-1V/

In our area, all of the schools have visable play clocks so we don't need to worry about giving the visable countdown. If the play clock goes down, we do give a visable countdown.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=grantsrc]The place where I bought it for no longer offers it. But here is a link to the watch on Casio's site: http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...rts/RFT100-1V/

QUOTE]

Thanks Grant.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

In our association, the wings are responsible for flagging the covered TE downfield.

Seems to make more sense for the wings to call it. We don't have to rely on another official (like the BJ does) to determine whether he's covered. Also, the wing is in the best position to determine whether the pass crossed the LOS.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
In our association, the wings are responsible for flagging the covered TE downfield.

Seems to make more sense for the wings to call it. We don't have to rely on another official (like the BJ does) to determine whether he's covered. Also, the wing is in the best position to determine whether the pass crossed the LOS.
Our U has some responsibility there. Assuming the wings are on their way downfield, they can't see the LOS and whether the ball has crossed it. On the screen pass, they are more likely to be there to help.