View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
These answers are great!

Two additional questions.

1) How do you warn the offense the play clock is about to expire? Do you give a 5 or 10 second warning?

2) Given that you start moving backwards and you should be at the goal line when the runner crosses, how do you determine when to turn to move toward the goal line?
The Illinois High School Association requires the back judge to give a visual count at five seconds. We count off five seconds like a basketball official does on a throw-in. See if your state requires something.

Determining when to turn and run to the goal-line is a matter if preference. It is a judgement you make in determining the speed of the ballcarrier, you own personal fleet-of-footness, and the how long of a run you have until the goal line. When the ball carrier breaks free into the secondary I usually turn and get a head start to the goal-line. I rely on the wing to get an accurate progress spot--I'm defending the goal-line! I never really have to think about it during the play. Your instincts will take over and you'll do fine.