The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Our U has some responsibility there. Assuming the wings are on their way downfield, they can't see the LOS and whether the ball has crossed it. On the screen pass, they are more likely to be there to help.

Yes, on our crew, U has the responsibility for QB or pass beyond LOS. Wings do help out though based on TE covered or not.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Agreed. Most of the time, it's pretty obvious. But on close calls, the U definitely gets a good look (assuming the U actually moves up on the play )
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
Agreed. Most of the time, it's pretty obvious. But on close calls, the U definitely gets a good look (assuming the U actually moves up on the play )

Yes, sometimes the U's forget to move. It is never related to our speed and agility
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Forksref]Well, let's get started: In our area, replacing a wing or R means you will be filling huge shoes. Replacing the U means you will be filling huge knickers!

And I thought they put me at U for my knowledge of the game!

I too am a big guy, 6'1" 285#. And it is very seldom that I get knocked down, but it has happened, and I am sure it will happen again. That is just one of the joy's of being an Umpire.

The BJ on our crew is great, alway's in the correct position, alway's talking to let everyone know that he is there if the wings have their back turned, and he is alway's hustling to relay the ball if the play is dead and there is no one in his area that he has to watch.

In rural Oklahoma, there are very few countdown timers on the field, unless you are calling a large school. our BJ counts down from 10 with a side hand chop so that the Offense knows how much time they do have.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Great, Great thread. As a BJ, this is good stuff for me.

My advice? Start working out NOW! Being in position is EVERYTHING. If you are not in position, nothing else matters. Of course everything else matters too. So, "what they said".

In my mind, it's like I'm playing safety. I must figure out what the offense is doing before they do it. I must be patient and watch the play develop. Then I must get to where I need to be.

I love football.