The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 05:43pm
(Something hilarious)

Snap not imminent - 2007 CIF Championship Trick Play?

Did anyone see the California Interscholastic Federation Div. I Championship game last weekend? It involved, what in my opinion, was an illegally deceptive play by Centennial High School, where the QB started at shotgun, looked to the sideline, then proceeded to walk about 8 steps toward his sideline yelling something, with hands in the air (a sort of "what do I do?" or "what's going on?" gesture), and then after stopping (coming set) while still holding hands in air, direct snap to RB. I can't find video of it. Anyone catch this, and/or think it fits into an USC penalty category?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't it obvious from the description alone? How could that not be an attempt to make opponents think team A is not ready? But it could be worse -- the player involved could've turned to R to ask a question!

Robert
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Even I agree this one is illegal, as it is pretty much straight out of the casebook.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

For you newer guys reading this stuff don't get confused about an unsportsmanlike conduct foul being a succeeding spot foul. It is, but in this case it's considered to have occurred PRIOR to the snap even though a snap technically takes place. Simply shut down the play IMMEDIATELY by blowing your whistle. It's NOT considered an inadvertent whistle to do so in this case.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
For you newer guys reading this stuff don't get confused about an unsportsmanlike conduct foul being a succeeding spot foul. It is, but in this case it's considered to have occurred PRIOR to the snap even though a snap technically takes place. Simply shut down the play IMMEDIATELY by blowing your whistle. It's NOT considered an inadvertent whistle to do so in this case.
Good interpretation. You know it could be argued the USC did not occur until the ball was snapped making it a succeeding spot foul but if you think about it the foul begins when the player starts the action of walking away making the defense think a snap is not imminent.

Remember a few years ago when Kurt Warner was with St. Louis and Mike Martz was the head coach they did one of those "walk away" things.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
Good interpretation. You know it could be argued the USC did not occur until the ball was snapped making it a succeeding spot foul but if you think about it the foul begins when the player starts the action of walking away making the defense think a snap is not imminent.
I'd classify it among attempts to put the ball in play illegally, the ball remaining dead.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

cif game

I was at the CIF state championship games with a group of officials and some colleagues of ours and saw the play you are questioning.

That tactic has been tried multiple times in a variety of ways by many teams. It is a distraction type of play and nothing the game has not seen before.

The QB basically went in "motion" while signaling toward the bench, at that point it was obvious to us the football was to be snapped to the remaining Back in the shotgun set.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

And the signals toward the bench make it an illegal play (based on the way it was described).
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 04:28pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeitfairly
I was at the CIF state championship games with a group of officials and some colleagues of ours and saw the play you are questioning.

That tactic has been tried multiple times in a variety of ways by many teams. It is a distraction type of play and nothing the game has not seen before.
Which is why it has since been made illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeitfairly
The QB basically went in "motion" while signaling toward the bench, at that point it was obvious to us the football was to be snapped to the remaining Back in the shotgun set.
"Actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is a problem and the snap is not imminent is illegal," ...and is USC, etc. etc. How does that play not fit that description? It's no different, in intent, design, theory, and application, than the "wrong ball" or "missing tee" plays, which are both illegal. 9.9.3.B.