The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

The NFHS Officials Manual describes, in detail, the required uniform for HS Officials in 48 States. It includes both "all-white tapered knickers, as well as "By State Association adoption, white officiating shorts (5-inch inseam) may be worn in place of the traditional knickers if worn by the entire crew."

The black pants worn by the NFL officials are designed to go with their proprietory striped shirts, which cannot be worn without permission of the NFL. There is no functional perspective, other than fabric, that differentiates these pants from knickers, and I suspect whatever fabric is used for these pants could be used for white knickers.

A major purpose of the new NFL uniforms was to differentiate NFL officials from officials at other levels, so the league could control how these uniforms might be used in commercials.

The purpose of the current officials uniform is to clearly differentiate officials from players on the field, something white knickers seem to do quite well. If you don't work at the NFL level, and fashion consciousness is a serious concern, there's always soccer.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 02:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
The NFHS Officials Manual describes, in detail, the required uniform for HS Officials in 48 States. It includes both "all-white tapered knickers, as well as "By State Association adoption, white officiating shorts (5-inch inseam) may be worn in place of the traditional knickers if worn by the entire crew."

The black pants worn by the NFL officials are designed to go with their proprietory striped shirts, which cannot be worn without permission of the NFL. There is no functional perspective, other than fabric, that differentiates these pants from knickers, and I suspect whatever fabric is used for these pants could be used for white knickers.

A major purpose of the new NFL uniforms was to differentiate NFL officials from officials at other levels, so the league could control how these uniforms might be used in commercials.

The purpose of the current officials uniform is to clearly differentiate officials from players on the field, something white knickers seem to do quite well. If you don't work at the NFL level, and fashion consciousness is a serious concern, there's always soccer.
Do not assume all 48 (member) States require this. I do not see a lot of options of the football uniform like other sports at this time, but I am sure if a state wanted to change (like other sports have), they would. And my state does not even use the Officials Manuals anymore, so it is possible if there was another type of football uniform, they could change. It is not likely, but possible.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Please, please, please.

Do not resurrect year old posts. I did not check the date and was elated to see a post by Garth. I thought he was back.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I like the black pants. Up close they look comfortable and professional.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 02:41pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I think the pants would make the dunlap disease sufferers look better than they do in the knickers. *whistling*
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 03:23pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I think the pants would make the dunlap disease sufferers look better than they do in the knickers. *whistling*
Dunlap disease is an American phenomenon.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

How would we look in black knickers? A slimming effect.

In AZ, we wear black shorts for everything below varsity. Not white. Only varsity wears knickers.

If you lived here, you'd understand why.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Dunlap disease is an American phenomenon.
As is "furniture" disease, you know... when you chest falls into your drawers.