The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a crazy play in which a Detroiot forward pass bounced, was picked up by running back who ran to 1 yard line after whistle never sounded. Challenge made, and stangely play stood. I had no volulme on the tv, so asking what I missed???

Did I view correctly that it was forward pass? I was watching 5 games at once--none with volume. I noticed every game/studio interuption showed this play. Was there something I missed in this one?
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Being from Baltimore, it was a forward pass..however no ref. had enough stones to call it correctly after they realized none of them was "on the play". The play stood as a "no call".
The game had 21 penalties called on the Ravens. Totally out of control.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

After seeing the replay, I can't see how they didn't call this an incomplete forward pass.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Regardless of the sport, no ref should ever want to be noticed. I have always considered Mr. Carrey (sp?) to be strong, but he was sure noticed throughout this game. And, if the ruling on the field was that the ball went backwards...I'm not sure I have seen such a botched call in many years. The only saving grace was that it occured in the first quarter.

Separate, but likely related in regard to the building frustration, the players kicked out probably deserved what they got. But it is still unusual to see NFL officials send players off the field, due to dissent!
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theuk
Regardless of the sport, no ref should ever want to be noticed. I have always considered Mr. Carrey (sp?) to be strong, but he was sure noticed throughout this game. And, if the ruling on the field was that the ball went backwards...I'm not sure I have seen such a botched call in many years. The only saving grace was that it occured in the first quarter.

Separate, but likely related in regard to the building frustration, the players kicked out probably deserved what they got. But it is still unusual to see NFL officials send players off the field, due to dissent!
Two things,

1) I think the ravens deserved 21 penalties, I watched parts of the game and they were acting out of control several times.

2) The explanation Mike Carrey gave was that the ball came loose before the player threw the ball. I did not see it that way, I thought for sure they'd overrule it. I will be interested to hear what Mike Periera has to say about this, I'm sure he will speak about it.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

If the pass was a "bobbled grip" kind of a ball, where the QB was still able to push it forward, even though he was not in complete control that should still be considered a pass.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Except that he was facing laterally and slightly backward when he "threw" it, and he threw it about 20 yards in the air (albeit toward the sideline, and slightly back). Never was his arm motion even partially toward the line of scrimmage.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
If the pass was a "bobbled grip" kind of a ball, where the QB was still able to push it forward, even though he was not in complete control that should still be considered a pass.
I'm going to have to disagree, unless NFL rules differ with NFHS on this matter, which I highly doubt they do. That would be considered a batt because the player did not "throw" the ball, he hit it with his hand. I'm not saying this is what happened, but this is the way Mike Carrey explained the situation and by rule would be a bat.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 04:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

One of the really wrong theories about officiating is that a good official is one you never notice. The umpire who made that statement was probably a real poor official who tried to get his paycheck and hide behind his partners and stay out of trouble all his life. *Control* of the ballgame is the difference between umpires that shows up for the players and the managers. - Bruce Froemming

Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

One of the really wrong theories about officiating is that a good official is one you never notice. The umpire who made that statement was probably a real poor official who tried to get his paycheck and hide behind his partners and stay out of trouble all his life. *Control* of the ballgame is the difference between umpires that shows up for the players and the managers. - Bruce Froemming

As usual Rich, you hit the nail on the head.

Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 11:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you make the right call on a tough play you will be noticed. I think the only people that do not want to be noticed are the officials that are afraid to make the tough calls.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

"theuk" is a soccer guy anyway! He don't know from American football!

Love ya, KB!
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.