Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Ruling on Penalty at End of Game

Is this the corrct rulingin NFHS?

From Branfordreview.com (Guilford, CT)

Thanksgiving Day football

After a handful of Branford's losses this season, coach Gary Gravina's quotes were very similar...one big stop or defensive play and the outcome could have been different.

On the final play of the season, against arch rival East Haven, Branford's defense came up with the big defensive play. Jimmy Boyd intercepted a pass in the end zone with no time remaining on the clock to stop the Yellowjackets and preserve a 38-35 win on Thanksgiving morning at the MacVeigh Complex in Branford.

"That was a big play," Gravina said. "We had a few games this year that could have been different if we got a big play or a big stop...that was what we were looking for all year...it came at a perfect time."

The timing couldn't have been any better. Trailing by three points with less than ten seconds on the clock, East Haven was faced with a third-and-goal from the Branford three-yard line. Boyd, a senior, intercepted John Grant's pass in the end zone and ran it back 101 yards for what appeared to be a touchdown.

Both teams were on the field and the game was obviously over, but there were penalty flags all over the field. While Branford celebrated in the end zone, the referees conferred at midfield, picked up the flags and left the field. There was never an official explanation as to what happened on the final play (whether it was a touchdown or not). One of the officials told Branford Athletic Director Jake Palluzzi on his way off the field that it wasn't a touchdown, but no explanation was ever given. It was learned later the officials had called a block in the back against Branford during the return. That negated the touchdown and since the game can end on a penalty against the offense, it was over. At that point, it was only a matter of record keeping as the Hornets improved to 2-7-1 on the season
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:51pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
It was learned later the officials had called a block in the back against Branford during the return. That negated the touchdown and since the game can end on a penalty against the offense, it was over. At that point, it was only a matter of record keeping as the Hornets improved to 2-7-1 on the season
In NFHS, a period is extended for one untimed down for any accepted penalty--regardless of who committed it. So the statement that "the game can end on a penalty against the offense" isn't completely true. It can if the penalty is declined.

So A could have accepted the penalty, but B would have 1st and 10 for one untimed down. Perhaps the officials assumed A would decline the penalty, and thus just ended the game. If I was the A coach, I probably would have accepted the penalty and forced an untimed down and hoped for a fumble or other mishap. But likely B would have taken a knee at the snap on the succeeding play.

The whole "a game cannot end on a defensive penalty" statement does not apply to NFHS. I don't know about NCAA or NFL. But, again, this seems to be another example of applying Sun or Sat rules to Fri night (or in this case Thurs).
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think the only thing I would modify in Suudy's response is to say that the period is extended by an untimed down if a penalty is accepted for a foul that occurs during the last timed down of a period except for unsportsmanlike fouls, non player fouls or fouls that specify a loss of down. In this case an untimed down was called for.

The crew in this play booted the pooch. They should have had an untimed down 10 yards back from the spot of the block in the back and like Suudy said at least East Haven could have hoped for a fumble and a runback.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5
The crew in this play booted the pooch. They should have had an untimed down 10 yards back from the spot of the block in the back and like Suudy said at least East Haven could have hoped for a fumble and a runback.
The officials probably would have informed the defense that Branford was taking a knew and suggested that they not to hit anyone.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy
In NFHS, a period is extended for one untimed down for any accepted penalty--regardless of who committed it. So the statement that "the game can end on a penalty against the offense" isn't completely true. It can if the penalty is declined.

So A could have accepted the penalty, but B would have 1st and 10 for one untimed down. Perhaps the officials assumed A would decline the penalty, and thus just ended the game. If I was the A coach, I probably would have accepted the penalty and forced an untimed down and hoped for a fumble or other mishap. But likely B would have taken a knee at the snap on the succeeding play.

The whole "a game cannot end on a defensive penalty" statement does not apply to NFHS. I don't know about NCAA or NFL. But, again, this seems to be another example of applying Sun or Sat rules to Fri night (or in this case Thurs).
What would be the NCAA ruling here?
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

I love sensational writing. "Penalty flags all over the field" probably means one flag was thrown.

Let me get my A's and B's straight.

10 seconds on the clock. Team A is trailing by 3 points. They have the ball third and goal from B's 3-yard line. Team A throws a pass that is intercepted by B1 in B's endzone. B1 returns the ball for an apparent touchdown and the game clock expires. During B1's return, B2 is flagged for a block in the back.

Here are A's options.
Decline the penalty: allow B to keep the score, and the game is over with B winning by 9 points (unless the try must be attempted for playoff purposes).

Accept the penalty: B keeps the ball because they had "clean hands". B's ball first and ten at the spot where the penalty places the ball. One untimed down is then run.

Isn't this the same ruling for NCAA?
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this the corrct rulingin NFHS?
No!

It's either a touchdown, a penalty and an untimed down, or a penalty and no untimed down. It is not "don't say anything and just leave the field."

The officials must have known that the point differential of the game was meaningless and just took the easy way out.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 10:12am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

CANADIAN RULING:

A quarter cannot end of a minor penalty - either by the O or D.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
What would be the NCAA ruling here?
Seems like it is the same as NFHS If A accepts the penalty, no TD and an untimed down. If they decline, B gets the 6 and game is over.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seems like it is the same as NFHS If A accepts the penalty, no TD and an untimed down. If they decline, B gets the 6 and game is over.
REPLY: That's correct Mike. For the purposes of this play, the two rule codes concur.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 04:39pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
On the final play of the season, against arch rival East Haven, Branford's defense came up with the big defensive play. Jimmy Boyd intercepted a pass in the end zone with no time remaining on the clock...
Please educate this broadcaster. In my 10 years of calling high school games, I've never seen a player run an interception out of the end zone. They always down it. Thus I always thought once the ball breaks the plane of the goal line, the ball becomes dead, just like in a kickoff or punt, except the ball becomes dead on the catch, not immediately when the ball breaks the plane in mid air.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
Please educate this broadcaster. In my 10 years of calling high school games, I've never seen a player run an interception out of the end zone. They always down it. Thus I always thought once the ball breaks the plane of the goal line, the ball becomes dead, just like in a kickoff or punt, except the ball becomes dead on the catch, not immediately when the ball breaks the plane in mid air.
High school ruling: once a free kick or scrimmage kick breaks the plane of the goal line the ball is dead. You are correct there. However, a pass breaking the plane is still live. If a player intercepts a pass in his own EZ he is free to down it, resulting in a touchback or he can run it out if he chooses. He can even run around in the EZ, get tackled, and it would still be a TB. He can fumble it in the EZ and have it go over the endline and it would still be a TB. The ball remains live until the down ends. In my years it seems like most of the time when a defender intercepts in his own EZ he usually goes down right away. Maybe that's where you got that.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5
I think the only thing I would modify in Suudy's response is to say that the period is extended by an untimed down if a penalty is accepted for a foul that occurs during the last timed down of a period except for unsportsmanlike fouls, non player fouls or fouls that specify a loss of down. In this case an untimed down was called for.

Hey, the turkey is cooking and we have to get home!

I am almost sure the conference was "why bother, lets go home." NFHS rules dictate another down should have been played if the penalty was accepted or the score should have rung up six additional points without a try for point as the score is meaningless.