The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I like Mike Pereira, but not EVERYTHING he says makes complete sense.

Then again, he's not talking to us - he's talking to fanboys. We know more than the average watcher of NFL Total Access does about officiating mechanics.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy
...How many experienced officials officiate with the whistle in their mouths? In my experience--none. And I don't think the guy here is any different. THAT was my point.
REPLY: Jerry Markbreit did it for his entire career. He wouldn't even spit the darn thing out when listening to a crewmate report a foul. The only time the whistle left his mouth was when he was talking.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I was talking about this with an official who works BB as well and he said it is not a problem for him cuz he is used to the whistle being in his mouth for BB. I still think it is good to keep it out of the mouth to have another split second before you can blow it, but it depends on the individual.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

I let that thing drop out of my mouth as soon as the ball is snapped. And definitely keep it away from your mouth on kicks, lest ye see a penalty and have your mind snap when you throw the flag and you blow the whistle, too.

Basketball refs blow the whistle when they see the foul. When you do both sports, you have to train yourself not to do that in football.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.