The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 01:33pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Play: The LTG is obvious - such as the inside of the 5 yard stripe. The covering official rules that FP was past the LTG. Upon replay, it is clear that the progress was short of the LTG (because it was short of the 5 yard stripe) but it is not known how much short of the stripe progress was.

Ruling: A 1D will not be awarded. It will be the next down, with the best estimate as determine by the Referee.

When the R voices this, should be not use "just shy of the 5 yard stripe"?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
I agree with all the comments regarding the false start call. Carl Madsen (U) threw the flag and had it the whole way. The player who 'shifted' was a little to exaggerated with his upper body movements for this not to be called.

Forksref--I see NCAA D1 and NFL officials toss bean bags on interceptions. It makes it tough to tell my B that there is no reason to toss his bean bag on an INT when he is always seeing those guys do it. Anybody know why they do so?
Because this can be an enforcement spot under NFL rules. The reason we don't bag it under NF or NCAA rules is that we won't use this as an enforcemetn spot for anything.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.
My question is this, in what mechanic is the U observing the shifts of the end and backs? Doesn't he have a snap, a center and a couple of guards to be watching.
I think the wing official had the call not the U (could be wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.
In the NFL shifts are very popular, there was nothing illegal about this shift that was any different than 2/3 of the other shifts on Sunday. The argument someone made earlier about them all shifting the same direction makes the swinging gate shift illegal. I will come out and say bad call.
The difference is his movement was jerky similar to the action at a snap rather than fluid like is usually done on a shift. There's a fine line but I think he got the call right after watching the replay.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Mike Pereira explains it here:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8043262f
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:57am
I Bleed Crimson

Thanks for the video post. I didn't know the NFL had these available to watch other than on the NFL network. This is great if you miss a show.

I find a couple of things interesting about his explanation of the official with the IW.

Pereira says that the official needs to learn to take his whistle out of this mouth. You'd think an experienced official (and you think one would have to be quite experienced to make it to the NFL) would already do that. After my first IW I never put my whistle back in my mouth and left it hanging. Many others switch to finger whistles just to prevent this. And I don't think there is any way an NFL official made it all the way through the ranks without an IW.

He also said that the official, being his first year out of NCAA, got excited about the play and confused the NCAA with the NFL rule (i.e. down by contact). This explanation seemed to try and mitigate the IW. I think it much more realisitic that the official thought the pass incomplete, and this explanation by Pereira saves face. I'm probably reading into it too much, but that's my gut feeling.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth
The only thing worse than the IW was giving the wrong signal for it (gave the illegal substitution signal).
I saw that too, but I just assumed that the NFL had a different signal for Inadvertent Whistle.

Last edited by GPC2; Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 02:50pm.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy
He also said that the official, being his first year out of NCAA, got excited about the play and confused the NCAA with the NFL rule (i.e. down by contact). This explanation seemed to try and mitigate the IW. I think it much more realisitic that the official thought the pass incomplete, and this explanation by Pereira saves face. I'm probably reading into it too much, but that's my gut feeling.
If it was a first year offcial, it was the side judge who whistled. The FJ is from my hometown and has been working NFL for at least 4-5 years (and possibly longer).

We all know how horrible we feel when it happens to one of us. I can only imagine how he feels.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

After hearing Pereira explaining what happened I think he's telling the truth
As I can hear, there is no doubt on the whistling. It's not like he blew it wrong once and then blew it again to confirm the IW.
Sounded to me like he blew the whistle sure of what he was doing but, unfortunately, he was wrong.
He go mixed up with the different rules
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears
If it was a first year offcial, it was the side judge who whistled. The FJ is from my hometown and has been working NFL for at least 4-5 years (and possibly longer).

We all know how horrible we feel when it happens to one of us. I can only imagine how he feels.
Yeah, the S is in the League in his first season from CUSA.

So you must be from Illinois.

I got to do some work with Doug in a camp over the summer. He's a great guy and I learned a hell of a lot from him and from Tony.

The whole crew was there and the thing that I found really interesting was just the whole air of confidence that every one of them exuded.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

What I havenīt seen here is this:
Referee announced that ruling on the field was interception and then IW. However, that whistle wasnīt inadventent, it happened because of bad judgement and it was an incomplete pass call.
Yeah, those guys made it clever and they "internally ruled it over" to IW, but wasnīt it so, that the call was incomplete pass and to change in, there should be a challenge (if that play is challengeable)?
Because next time, on officials make a mistake for example on sideline catch and rules oob catch, there could be also an "IW" on a catch.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 08:03am
Chain of Fools

Isn't it a Fed mechanic to beanbag the spot on an IW? What about the NFL?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcelona
What I havenīt seen here is this:
Referee announced that ruling on the field was interception and then IW. However, that whistle wasnīt inadventent, it happened because of bad judgement and it was an incomplete pass call.
Yeah, those guys made it clever and they "internally ruled it over" to IW, but wasnīt it so, that the call was incomplete pass and to change in, there should be a challenge (if that play is challengeable)?
Because next time, on officials make a mistake for example on sideline catch and rules oob catch, there could be also an "IW" on a catch.
REPLY: If you listen to Pereira's description and if you watch/here the video, you see that the call was not incomplete pass, but rather that the Colts defender was down (ball dead) when he hit the ground after completing the interception. If you watch the video, the S who whistled is coming into the endzone, but he is not signalling incomplete.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy
Pereira says that the official needs to learn to take his whistle out of this mouth. You'd think an experienced official (and you think one would have to be quite experienced to make it to the NFL) would already do that. After my first IW I never put my whistle back in my mouth and left it hanging. Many others switch to finger whistles just to prevent this. And I don't think there is any way an NFL official made it all the way through the ranks without an IW.
Human.

Beings.

Make.

Mistakes.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
Isn't it a Fed mechanic to beanbag the spot on an IW? What about the NFL?
Definitely bean bag it.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 11:46am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Human.

Beings.

Make.

Mistakes.
I'm not suggesting that even experience officials don't make mistakes. Experienced officials have had IW's before I'm sure. That isn't what I was driving at.

And I'm also not suggesting the official in question is a poor official. In fact, I'm quite certain he is an excellent official, given that he as progressed to the NFL level.

The point of my post was that I think Pereira wasn't giving a completely honest report. Pereira said "you'll see him officiating now without the whistle in his mouth." He even went into a detail explanation about going through the motion of grabbing the whistle.

How many experienced officials officiate with the whistle in their mouths? In my experience--none. And I don't think the guy here is any different. THAT was my point.