Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

TXMike,

That would not be a FED ruling either.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213
I had a varsity game on Sat. so I was forced to watch the game on tape. First let me say--Joe Tiller has a history of whining big time (almost to the level of Joe Paterno!), so I would take what he says with a grain of salt.

The potential TD (ruled incomplete) that was mentioned looked like a TD to me on replay. It was never reviewed by the booth (plus Purdue has a challange at their disposal). ESPN only showed 1 or 2 replays on TV, but I feel it was fair to say that it could have gone either way.

As for the foward progress situation...here the officials were 100% correct. A5 catches the ball while moving back toward the original LOS. Gets 1 or 2 feet inbounds, steps OOB about 2 yards back (toward the LOS) from where A5 first touched the ball. Textbook case of forward progress ending in bounds. LJ correctly spots where he completed the catch (i.e. first touched the ground with the ball) and winds the clock. The TV guys on ESPN said the call was terrible, said it needed to be looked at upstairs, and went so far as to call the LJ by name (a point that really ticked me off considering he made the right call...but then again, they were interested in hearing themselves talk and creating some sort of controversy...plus Andre Ware knows everything, ha!).
Maybe you could give us a rule citation(NCAA) that would support you on why the clock should not have been stopped?
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
That has nothing to do with the idiotic practice of publicly notifying a crew that they will all be suspended and some fired and then sending them out expecting them to do a great job with teams, coaches and fans all knowing the details.

They either should have waited to announce the punishments or suspended them immediately.
And they sent the crew to the Ohio State-Illinois game. At least they went to a game that meant nothing, eh?
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
That has nothing to do with the idiotic practice of publicly notifying a crew that they will all be suspended and some fired and then sending them out expecting them to do a great job with teams, coaches and fans all knowing the details.

They either should have waited to announce the punishments or suspended them immediately.

I don't think the punishments were "announced" but rather "leaked". Huge difference!! It would be great if the leaker could be found and dealt with but we need to be clear that the conference did not put this info out there. I don't think any major conference would be that ignorant to announce a suspension and trhen send the same guys to one of the biggest games the conference has that year.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I agree with comment that was posted about officials making mistakes, and you need to move on.

However, two of the officials on the crew in question have struggled the past few years in the Big Ten.

This crew worked the Michigan/Minnesota game this year and there were a couple of things that I noticed in that game that got both coaches kinda bothered.

I also noticed a couple of things yesterday during the Ohio State/Illinois game they were doing that made me wonder at times.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Does your employer publish a news article when you make a mistake?
80,000 people don't normally watch me work live, with hundreds of thousands more watching live on TV, with tons of actual money wagered (legally or illegally) on my work product.

Sad but true. Any analogies of jobs in the "real world" to officiating really don't hold water.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 11:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
80,000 people don't normally watch me work live, with hundreds of thousands more watching live on TV, with tons of actual money wagered (legally or illegally) on my work product.

Sad but true. Any analogies of jobs in the "real world" to officiating really don't hold water.
In the corporate world, performance is the only thing that matters. If I don't perform, I am axed. However, before that happens, there is not a notice sent to 1 million shareholders.

I can't imagine that employee morale stays up if 500,000 shareholders are told that Mr. John Doe from the Springfield, MO facility will be fired unless he meets the next quarterly goal.

JMHO.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Is this the same crew that also worked the Illinois/Michigan game?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
No. I watched that game and it is not the same crew.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
And they sent the crew to the Ohio State-Illinois game. At least they went to a game that meant nothing, eh?
There was a fumble on a long run in the first quarter that was ruled down. Apparently replay was not working (technical difficulties) and the call was not overturned. I thought that I heard a whistle before the OSU defender recovered the "fumble".
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump
There was a fumble on a long run in the first quarter that was ruled down. Apparently replay was not working (technical difficulties) and the call was not overturned. I thought that I heard a whistle before the OSU defender recovered the "fumble".
Look. No one from OSU is arguing that the call had anything to do with the outcome of the game.

Yet a couple of questions beg to be asked.

How could officials at the highest level of college football blow such an
obvious call?

But more important, if instant replay is supposed to make sure the calls are correct how did it fail to do so in this case? (and scores of others over the last few years)

If instant replay is not one hundred per cent fool proof why have it at all?
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973
Is this the same crew that also worked the Illinois/Michigan game?
Comparing the box score from PSU/Perdue and Ill/O. St, only the umpire in the Ill/O. St game was not in the PSU/Perdue game.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack015
Comparing the box score from PSU/Perdue and Ill/O. St, only the umpire in the Ill/O. St game was not in the PSU/Perdue game.
Great to heard that. Good official, good man. I did not think that any of the questionable calls in the OSU/ILL game involved him.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: The same would be true in Federation. Forward progress can only be ruled when a player's movement toward his opponent's goal line is involuntarily stopped by an opponnent. Going backward of one's own volition is never reason to blow the ball dead or award progress in advance of the dead ball spot. Clock should have stopped in the PSU/Purdue game.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone here in Illinois thinks they finally got the good end of blown calls.