The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

BJV game. I am watching. Tie score54-54. . 3.1 seconds on clock. Visitors have throw-in from lane extended under their own basket. Visitor throws alley-oop in the lane , kid misses, pinball on the rebound, ends up in Visitors hands at 3 point arc. Kid shoots, rims to the right, visitors with back to basket taps it in from about 4 feet away. Still no horn, home gathers ball then horn goes off.

I know they could have corrected this mistake on the timers part but what could have the officials done to be sure of time ? They had problems with timer all night.

I am thinking along the lines of silently counting to one's self and then just blowing the whistle. Not much complaing from the home team cause it was their timer.

What say you ?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
BJV game. I am watching. Tie score54-54. . 3.1 seconds on clock. Visitors have throw-in from lane extended under their own basket. Visitor throws alley-oop in the lane , kid misses, pinball on the rebound, ends up in Visitors hands at 3 point arc. Kid shoots, rims to the right, visitors with back to basket taps it in from about 4 feet away. Still no horn, home gathers ball then horn goes off.

I know they could have corrected this mistake on the timers part but what could have the officials done to be sure of time ? They had problems with timer all night.

I am thinking along the lines of silently counting to one's self and then just blowing the whistle. Not much complaing from the home team cause it was their timer.

What say you ?
Especially since they had problems with the timer all night, they should have talked to the timer before the last throw-in ("watch xxxx -- be sure to start the clock as soon as, but not before, s/he chops in the time").

And, if it was a three-person crew, one of the officials should have watched the clock to be sure it started correctly.

Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I had a bad timer last night, capped off by the clock not starting on a rebounded FT when there were about 24 seconds left in a 1-point game.

I counted the time, and had it taken off the clock at the next stoppage (thankfully there was a foul). My partner and I also talked about the possibility of having to call the game on our own whistle, but thankfully that was not a problem.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref

What say you ?
I don't have a rule book reference for you - but several more experianced than me have told me that under 5 seconds (or so) keep a running tally in your head - if you get a couple seconds over you can glance up at the clock/blow your whistle/ whatever need be. We get this all the time in AAU games and we've been told to call the game (quarter, half, whatever) or reset the clock to what we feel is correct.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Even if my crew has a good timer at the table, I will always go to the table in a situation like this and remind them to start the clock when the administering official chops.

Z
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
No reason to keep the count in your head, or to keep it quietly. Chop away, as if there were a closely guarded situaton. That way, everyone in the gym knows that you have stopped the game on certain knowledge.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
No reason to keep the count in your head, or to keep it quietly. Chop away, as if there were a closely guarded situaton. That way, everyone in the gym knows that you have stopped the game on certain knowledge.
Exactly.

This is a perfect subset of Trippian mechanics, which includes incorporating a visible counter into all visible counts. Simply add the right number of fingers to the hand at the end your signaling limb. Extensive research with the unwashed public shows they have no trouble recognizing the difference between one finger signifying (1) second and one finger signifying (6) seconds. They aren't THAT asleep.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
This is a perfect subset of Trippian mechanics
Was I supposed to study this in high school Physics? What the Bruce is "Trippian mechanics"?

Quote:
Simply add the right number of fingers to the hand at the end your signaling limb.

Don't do this. There are times when you don't want the coach to know where your count is.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
What the Bruce is "Trippian mechanics"?
I just want to point out that it was Chuck that said this, not me. I would never say any thing so offensive.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Exactly

Quote:
Quote:
I just want to point out that it was Chuck that said this, not me. I would never say any thing so offensive.
Did I get replaced? Finally!
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Quote:
Did I get replaced? Finally!
You can thank me with gold coins and Faberge eggs.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Exactly

Quote:

Don't count on getting any thanks, then!
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Don't count on getting any thanks, then!
Oh, alright. I'd settle for a cute little smilie with a girlie face, dribbling a basketball.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

with 3.1 on the clock count to ( and can visibly count if you want) 3 2 1 0 and blow the whistle. Yell "clock did not start" and end the game.