The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 09:34am

Unsportsmanlike question.

Do you have to assign an Unsportsmanlike penalty to a specific person? For example let's say your working a wing and a coach cusses you out such that everyone heard it for several yards around. But you were facing away from him and when you turn you see three assistants in the vicinity. Would you just assign it to one of them? To no one in particular? Would you no-call it? How would you handle it?
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 10:21am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
Do you have to assign an Unsportsmanlike penalty to a specific person? For example let's say you're working a wing and a coach cusses you out such that everyone heard it for several yards around. But you were facing away from him and when you turn you see three assistants in the vicinity. Would you just assign it to one of them? To no one in particular? Would you no-call it? How would you handle it?
For some actions, yes; and others, no.

CANADIAN PHILOSOPHY:

I will assign it to the bench if I cannot identify the culprit.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I would not call it unless I knew who said it. If the ball were dead or at the next dead ball, I'd stop the clock and talk to the head coach and advise him that such language will not be tolerated, etc. etc. This will serve a couple of purposes - it will gives whoever had the problem a chance to continue the arguement (and let me know who it was for future reference) and say what he wants to my face; it will let the staff know I won't put up with this, and possibly it will allow everyone a chance to calm down.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

if it's loud enough that everybody can hear it and the asst coaches won't own up to it then the USC gets charged to the head coach. He is responsible for his sideline and his staff.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-MI
if it's loud enough that everybody can hear it and the asst coaches won't own up to it then the USC gets charged to the head coach. He is responsible for his sideline and his staff.
I won't be able to get to a rule book till late tonight. Is there a specific rule which states this? It's true for basketball but I can't think of where it might be stated for football. Respectfully.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
I would not call it unless I knew who said it. If the ball were dead or at the next dead ball, I'd stop the clock and talk to the head coach and advise him that such language will not be tolerated, etc. etc. This will serve a couple of purposes - it will gives whoever had the problem a chance to continue the arguement (and let me know who it was for future reference) and say what he wants to my face; it will let the staff know I won't put up with this, and possibly it will allow everyone a chance to calm down.
A wise old official once told me about USC. If it warrants a warning, it warrants a flag. Warning are to keep USCs from happening, not responding to them.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.
A wise old official once told me about USC. If it warrants a warning, it warrants a flag. Warning are to keep USCs from happening, not responding to them.
I've also heard that it's sometimes good to react to a comment that you overheard by giving a coach the chance to say it directly to your face. Sort of a - "Do have something to say to me, coach?" opportunity. I'd be more inclined to go that route here since SJ didn't know who made the comment.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

SJ

The first R I worked with was also a BB official so maybe that where I got that line of thinking from.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 12:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
For some actions, yes; and others, no.

CANADIAN PHILOSOPHY:

I will assign it to the bench if I cannot identify the culprit.
Note that there is a near zero-tolerance in language in our HS leagues. If I player cusses himself out, to himself, then we can let it go. But out loud for others to hear, especially directed right at an official.

How is that not a flag in high school?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

JimD, in my book that is baiting! I am a coach so you can see why I might say that but JMHO. If you don't like it flag it, if not ignore it.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

The problem in this whole deal is that the wing wasn't sure who said it. It could have come from a coach, but it could have been the chain crew, a photographer or anyone. Most likely it was a coach, but I'd want to be sure before I hit a team for 15. Secondarily, it's going to sound dumb when I have to write up a report to the state and I have to admit I don't know who did the cursing - that it was just a voice behind me.

i don't think asking a coach to repeat a comment to my face ist baiting - it's more of a chance for a retraction.

Again, if I knew who said it in the first place, I'd flag it.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:17pm

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
The problem in this whole deal is that the wing wasn't sure who said it. It could have come from a coach, but it could have been the chain crew, a photographer or anyone. Most likely it was a coach, but I'd want to be sure before I hit a team for 15. Secondarily, it's going to sound dumb when I have to write up a report to the state and I have to admit I don't know who did the cursing - that it was just a voice behind me.

i don't think asking a coach to repeat a comment to my face ist baiting - it's more of a chance for a retraction.

Again, if I knew who said it in the first place, I'd flag it.
Just to make sure that I understand...

So some player from the bench keeps yelling out profanities about you directly but you don't flag it because you can't tell who it was?

You go over to try to get them to retract their statements, to no avail.

When you walk away, they start up again. You still can't flag it because why would you change your policy part way through?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just to make sure that I understand...

So some player from the bench keeps yelling out profanities about you directly but you don't flag it because you can't tell who it was?

You go over to try to get them to retract their statements, to no avail.

When you walk away, they start up again. You still can't flag it because why would you change your policy part way through?

No you don't understand.

I was responding to the original post where the wing heard a curse word but was not sure who said it.

Now you are presenting a different scenario and I would handle that situation differently than the original. I do change my response depending on the situation.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Note that there is a near zero-tolerance in language in our HS leagues. If I player cusses himself out, to himself, then we can let it go. But out loud for others to hear, especially directed right at an official.
What if it's in French at an away game before an Anglophone crowd?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 05:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
What if it's in French at an away game before an Anglophone crowd?
Je parle français.