The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

KO - out-of-bounds rules

Hello
I'm wondering if anyone can explain - what has been termed a "little known rule" - about returning a kickoff (in the NFL)? . . . (The kickoff was 'aimed' at the corner of Goal Line and Out-of-bounds line) . . If a player on the receiving team touches the ball, and then steps out of bounds - I believe it is receiving team's ball - at the spot it went out. (please correct me if wrong - and if it makes a difference if the player controls the football or just touches it). However, if the receiving player was to first step OUT of bounds, and then touch the ball (with one foot in and one foot out) . . . should the ball be placed at the out-of-bounds spot? - or, is the player now a "part" of "out-of-bounds" . . . resulting in a kickoff that went out - being placed at the 40? And / or would there be any penalty for coming in from out-of-bounds and being the first guy to touch the ball?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

If receiver catches the ball with one foot inbounds and one foot outbounds, it is free kick out of bounds and penalty (see Chiefs@Bears in week 2 and first Chiefsī kickoff).
Would receiver have both feet inbounds and after the catch steps outbounds, then itīs Team Bīs ball at that spot.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

It only matters if he touches it for the NFL. In fact I know this for sure via an email from an NFL official I know about the play in the Minn game in which that happened. He said Peterson needed to have one foot OOB's first, then touch the ball to create a FKOOB's.

In NF, it depends on the location of the ball. If the ball is outside the OB's plane, it is a FKOOB's, but if the ball is inside the OOB's plane, it is R's ball at the spot of touching.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Thank you so much for your response.
Yes - it was the Minn play that I was asking about. I had watched the play, and certainly believed that the correct call was made . . . and I truly couldn't understand what Childress was thinking - in throwing the challenge flag. He later pushed the issue further - claiming that he knew about some 'special rule' that most people wouldn't know about, etc.
I was very interested in learning whether there really was some "little known rule", or if my personal beliefs about Childress' "attitude" is more likely correct.
I believe I have my answer.
Thank you -- very much.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

NCAA can take five yards beyond the FKOB spot in addtion to the other options of 35 beyond free kick line or rekick after 5 yard foul.