The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Clock after penalty

I have some confusion regarding when to start the clock after a penalty. Example: After 1st down play ends inbounds, clock is running. On 2nd down the play results in a TD, during the down there is a hold/live ball foul.Play comes back. Does the clock start on the ready, after enforcement, based on the 1st down play or at the snap, based on 2nd down ending in the EZ? I can't seem to pin this down in the book.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 04:27am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesref
I have some confusion regarding when to start the clock after a penalty. Example: After 1st down play ends inbounds, clock is running. On 2nd down the play results in a TD, during the down there is a hold/live ball foul.Play comes back. Does the clock start on the ready, after enforcement, based on the 1st down play or at the snap, based on 2nd down ending in the EZ? I can't seem to pin this down in the book.
CANADIAN RULING:

Did the play end before/after the 3-minute warning?
  • Before
    • On the RFP because only after a Time Count penalty application or a Timeout does the clock start on the snap.
  • End
    • On the snap because under the 3MW, a penalty application has the clock start on the snap of the next play.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I've always started the clock in this situation on the snap since the clock was shut down for the TD.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 10:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesref
It was stopped due to the TD, so start on the snap.

(If the foul was the only reason the clock stopped -- the clock would've run absent the penalty -- then start on the ready.)
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

If there's a foul prior to the snap, false start, encroachment, etc., then how the previous play ended is an issue.

But once the ball is snapped, how that play ends determines when the clock next starts. The previous play has nothing to do with it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Clock after penalty

Thank you , got it now.