The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

False start or motion?

I was the WH on an underclass game this weekend and working with an unfamiliar crew.
Halfback obviously misses the count and makes quick move to right one count before snap. I flag for false start and kill the play. LJ and I have a good discussion at halftime regarding my call. He said that since A45 is allowed to be in motion and his move was sideways this was a legal move.
I contend that there's a difference between going in motion and missing the count, one is a quick move simulating a snap the other is a smooth, more relaxed move. The LJ suggested that FS only be called in this sitch if the defense jumps, I say that regardless of whether they jump they may have leaned forward then caught themselves and were moving back at the snap giving A unfair advantage.
Regardless of which way a back moves, if it's obvious he missed the count and makes that quick start of the play move I've always killed the play.
What do you guys think?
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I think you're about to find a number of people have different opinions on this call. I agree with you, if a player misses the snap count it's a false start. Hopefully, your regular crew agrees one way or the other.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

You know it when you see it. If it's obvious he missed the snap count, I blow a false start. If he's leaning, I call illegal motion, if he takes a little step and stops, then the ball is snapped, I call illegal shift. You just gotta see it.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

There is no consensus on this call. We've had a few posts on it before and some would let it go, some would call it. The rules allow for him to move and reset or it can be ruled that it was a false start. There is no "right" answer.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: CO ump...I'm with you on this one. If he missed the count and simulated the start of a play, it's a false start. That's the way it's called in college and in the NFL. As a friend of mine who works in the NFL always says, "Nothing good can come from letting that play go."
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: CO ump...I'm with you on this one. If he missed the count and simulated the start of a play, it's a false start. That's the way it's called in college and in the NFL. As a friend of mine who works in the NFL always says, "Nothing good can come from letting that play go."
I agree as well. It clearly simulates action at the snap. I just can't buy the argument that it's a shift or motion.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Was the RB in a 3-point stance when moved, and does that make a difference?
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Here's my take on it:
  1. HB makes a quick step to the side and stops: false start.
  2. HB makes a quick step to the side and continues to go in motion parallel to the LOS after a very very brief pause: illegal shift.
  3. HB makes a quick step forward: false start.
  4. HB makes a quick step forward and corrects himself to going parallel LOS: false start.
In 1, 3, and 4, the HB is presumed to have missed the snap count.
In 2, though, this is a very common way for a lot of teams up here to go into motion. We see it on a weekly basis, especially in 9-man games, from nearly every back. Very sharp, crisp, quick moves to begin their motion.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 08:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphrunner
Here's my take on it:
  1. HB makes a quick step to the side and continues to go in motion parallel to the LOS after a very very brief pause: illegal shift.
Why would this be an illegal shift? Unless there was another player moving at the time of action, it would not be an illegal shift at all.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
I totally agree with Bob's post. This is what we are told in my college conference and what I have heard at clinics from NCAA and NFL officials.