The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Hmmm..........what do you think?

This happened this past Friday back in my home area of Michigan.

Here is the situation:

Team A (home team) is trailing 25-22 with :57.1 to go in regulation. Team A does a pooch on side kick (according to the newspaper article). Team A recovers the ball.

However, Team B (visiting team and winning at the time) is given possession of the ball because the kick did not hit the ground.

Team A is miffed to say the least. According to the paper, the head referee (assuming the white hat) goes and gets his rulebook, brings out to the field, shows and explains the rule to Team A's coach.

Team A ends up losing 25-22.

Has anyone ever left the field or stopped the game for the purpose of getting the rulebook out? (talking high school, not weekend tournaments like baseball where rules are altered) t
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 10:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
This happened this past Friday back in my home area of Michigan.

Here is the situation:

Team A (home team) is trailing 25-22 with :57.1 to go in regulation. Team A does a pooch on side kick (according to the newspaper article). Team A recovers the ball.

However, Team B (visiting team and winning at the time) is given possession of the ball because the kick did not hit the ground.

Team A is miffed to say the least. According to the paper, the head referee (assuming the white hat) goes and gets his rulebook, brings out to the field, shows and explains the rule to Team A's coach.

Team A ends up losing 25-22.

Has anyone ever left the field or stopped the game for the purpose of getting the rulebook out? (talking high school, not weekend tournaments like baseball where rules are altered)
Wow. All we can say is wow. In Canada, the ball needing to hit the ground does not exist. But to bring a rulebook out during the game. Bad move in any location.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

There's no need to ever break out a rule book. The officials should know the rules well enough not to need it and be confident in their ruling. If the coach has a problem, they can look it up themselves after the game. Its not our jobs to prove they don't know the rule.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Bottom line...did they get it right?
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Kinda depends.

The kick must go 10 yards and touch the ground before A can recover and gain possession
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Based on what I read in the rulebook, because I wanted to make sure myself, the crew did the call right. The ball does have to hit for the ground first in order for Team A to keep the ball.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy
There's no need to ever break out a rule book. The officials should know the rules well enough not to need it and be confident in their ruling. If the coach has a problem, they can look it up themselves after the game. Its not our jobs to prove they don't know the rule.
So if the coach uses a time out to discuss a rule interp, your linesman does not bring the rule book on the field?

We had a coach not believe us on 7.1.7.b last Friday night, showed him at half, but what if he request it during the game using a TO?
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump
So if the coach uses a time out to discuss a rule interp, your linesman does not bring the rule book on the field?

We had a coach not believe us on 7.1.7.b last Friday night, showed him at half, but what if he request it during the game using a TO?
What if he requested lobster and wine?
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked in 2 different states, and I have never seen rule book been on the field (at least as far as officials go). We handle by dicussing the rule with the coach. To me, it seems like we should go with the officials rather than the coach unless they can present the correct ruling (which is why they take the time out anyways). But it does make me wonder what other groups do?
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrefcshou
What if he requested lobster and wine?
Well, the w(h)ine can easily be collected from around the sideline.

James
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Another take---similar but different. I don't know if this would have changed the options for the receivers at all....but since the ball was caught--this is also by definition and rule Kick Catching Interference. An awarded fair catch or rekick and fifteen yards. Like I say doesnt make a difference, since the R is going to take the ball where it was touched or awarded. Just a sidebar issue though.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: If the coach wants to take a TO for a referee-coach conference, that's his prerogative. If the official wants' to tell the coach that the ruling is correct and that he (the coach) can find that in Rule 6, that's fine too. But don't bring a rule book out onto the field, and absolutely NEVER delay the game to go get a rulebook to prove your point.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: If the coach wants to take a TO for a referee-coach conference, that's his prerogative. If the official wants' to tell the coach that the ruling is correct and that he (the coach) can find that in Rule 6, that's fine too. But don't bring a rule book out onto the field, and absolutely NEVER delay the game to go get a rulebook to prove your point.

I could not disagree more.

What are you afraid of? In Ohio the linesman is REQUIRED to bring the rule and case books onto the field. The chain crew holds onto it. If WE need to refer to it, it is available. The purpose is not to satisfy a coach, but as a reference for us. We have needed to go the books once in 13 years.

Am I to understand that if you were faced with a situation where you misinterpreted a rule, the coach calls for a conference you feel it isn't appropriate to check on a rule. What are we worried about, getting the call right or your ego. Give me a break!
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat
I could not disagree more.

What are you afraid of? In Ohio the linesman is REQUIRED to bring the rule and case books onto the field. The chain crew holds onto it. If WE need to refer to it, it is available. The purpose is not to satisfy a coach, but as a reference for us. We have needed to go the books once in 13 years.

Am I to understand that if you were faced with a situation where you misinterpreted a rule, the coach calls for a conference you feel it isn't appropriate to check on a rule. What are we worried about, getting the call right or your ego. Give me a break!
The trouble is you don't know what you don't know and during the game isn't the time to figure it out.
Rule books are for bathrooms and clinics. Neither I nor the coach will ever have a rule book on the field(at least not for long)

In a very practical sense, the consequences of pulling out a rule book in the middle of a game outweigh the consequences of a misinterpretation.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 03:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
Has anyone ever left the field or stopped the game for the purpose of getting the rulebook out? (talking high school, not weekend tournaments like baseball where rules are altered) t
No, and I never will. It looks really silly doing such a thing.

Peace