The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:33am
Broadcaster

Lightning delay

First game of the season last night and Mother Nature wasn't ready for it to start. A two hour lightning delay before the opening kick kept me awake much later than I wanted. In Georgia, they must wait 30 minutes after the last lightning strike before the players go out on the field, then a 30 minute warm up before the game. We thought all quieted down when 26 minutes after what we thought was the last strike, a bolt hits behind the visiting stands. Argh! The 7:00 kickoff happened at 9:00.

The refs last night did a great job keeping the kids safe and keeping the pressbox informed. But now I get to do another game tonight on five hours sleep. Where's the coffee?
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't the subject line a self-contradiction?

But seriously, I've seen a field ringed with tall light towers and closed for lightning. Those metal towers would be such effective lightning protection, there's no way lighting could strike inside that ring, but they closed it anyway.

Robert
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
First game of the season last night and Mother Nature wasn't ready for it to start. A two hour lightning delay before the opening kick kept me awake much later than I wanted. In Georgia, they must wait 30 minutes after the last lightning strike before the players go out on the field, then a 30 minute warm up before the game. We thought all quieted down when 26 minutes after what we thought was the last strike, a bolt hits behind the visiting stands.
That's when we would have gone home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
But seriously, I've seen a field ringed with tall light towers and closed for lightning. Those metal towers would be such effective lightning protection, there's no way lighting could strike inside that ring, but they closed it anyway.
I don't know who told you such nonsense. I just hope it doesn't get you killed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Sep 01, 2007 at 11:37pm.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Those metal towers would be such effective lightning protection, there's no way lighting could strike inside that ring,
Robert
Nonsense.

From the NOAA:

"Lightning does not always strike the tallest object."

And

"While tall pointy isolated objects are statistically more likely to be struck,
by lightning, it’s not nearly reliable enough to rely on for safety. Lightning can still strike you near the tall
object. Besides, the lightning electricity will likely spread out along the surface of the ground and can still kill
you over 100 Ft from the “protecting” object. NO PLACE OUTSIDE IS SAFE NEAR A THUNDERSTORM!"

Last edited by GarthB; Sat Sep 01, 2007 at 04:25pm.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Those metal towers would be such effective lightning protection, there's no way lighting could strike inside that ring
I'm not going to be the one standing in the middle of the field to test this theory.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
I'm not going to be the one standing in the middle of the field to test this theory.

Oh, c'mon, waltjp... it must be fun
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

We had delays Thursday night. What was supposed to be 2 frosh games that started at 5 ended up starting around 6:30. We cut the quarters back to 6 minutes in game one and 8 minutes in game 2. The visiting team didn't even get there until around 6:15, so we the delay itself didn't mean much. Didn't get done until right after 10:00, so late night.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
Oh, c'mon, waltjp... it must be fun
One near miss in my lifetime was quite enough, thank you.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Nonsense.

From the NOAA:

"Lightning does not always strike the tallest object."
True.

Quote:
"While tall pointy isolated objects are statistically more likely to be struck, by lightning, it’s not nearly reliable enough to rely on for safety. Lightning can still strike you near the tall object. Besides, the lightning electricity will likely spread out along the surface of the ground and can still kill you over 100 Ft from the “protecting” object.
Also true.

Quote:
NO PLACE OUTSIDE IS SAFE NEAR A THUNDERSTORM!"
False!

The situation described was not one of a single tall pointy conducting object near the place to be protected, in which case the single mast could indeed draw lighting to the area and possibly conduct it thru the ground to hurt someone near it. Rather, it was one of a ring of such masts. The area in the center of such a ring would be as well protected as could be. Even if lightning were to strike one of the masts, by induction the ground current would run away from the ring rather than thru it.

While it is true that lightning could still strike in the middle of such a ring, and that current could be conducted thru that area, it would be no more likely than would be the case for someone in a bldg. To say that it would be dangerous to be within it would be the same as saying it's dangerous to be in a bldg. in the middle of lightning.

And yes, if I weren't looking to get out of the rain, I would go into the middle of such a ring of masts for lightning protection.

If you don't believe me, try experimenting with a spark coil and a ring of pins pointing in one direction from a conductor. See if you can ever get a spark to land in the middle, or for the current from a discharge to be conducted thru the middle. Of course the pins have to stick out far enough compared to the size of the ring, as was the case with this ring of metal light towers.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Sun Sep 02, 2007 at 02:24pm.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAA

NO PLACE OUTSIDE IS SAFE NEAR A THUNDERSTORM!

Quote:

False!

Let's see....NOAA or Robert...tough call here, but I gotta go with the NOAA.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One near miss in my lifetime was quite enough, thank you.
Near miss? That was a near HIT!
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMcCarthy
Near miss? That was a near HIT!
Have to say I agree with you. I was about 6 years old and gathered in front of my house with my brother and a couple of other friends. The lightning strike hit in the road about 25 feet from us. Oddly, it missed all of the taller trees, telephone poles, houses, chimneys, tv antennas (remember them?), etc. So much for Mr. Goodman's theory about lightning hitting the tallest object.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 08:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Up in my neck of Canadian woods, if we see lightning, the game is delayed until 15 minutes of no-lightning weather is observed. What people do after we initiate this process is up to them.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have to say I agree with you. I was about 6 years old and gathered in front of my house with my brother and a couple of other friends. The lightning strike hit in the road about 25 feet from us. Oddly, it missed all of the taller trees, telephone poles, houses, chimneys, tv antennas (remember them?), etc. So much for Mr. Goodman's theory about lightning hitting the tallest object.
If they're tall enough & good enough conductors and surround the road, it will.

Why do you think a bldg. is considered lightning protection for its occupants? Only because it contains conductive & grounded pipes & wires in the walls. The roof over it does nothing. Strip away everything but the pipes, downspouts, etc. and what would you see? A bunch of conductive masts surrounding the occupants. So what makes you think those same conductive masts would not provide the same protection outdoors?

Robert

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Mon Sep 03, 2007 at 10:07pm.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they're tall enough & good enough conductors and surround the road, it will.

Why do you think a bldg. is considered lightning protection for its occupants? Only because it contains conductive & grounded pipes & wires in the walls. The roof over it does nothing. Strip away everything but the pipes, downspouts, etc. and what would you see? A bunch of conductive masts surrounding the occupants. So what makes you think those same conductive masts would not provide the same protection outdoors?

Robert
Oh, you mean if they enclosed the road - sort of like a domed stadium? Well, unfortunately, the road wasn't enclosed and neither was your football field. I say we all take your advice and tell the players and anyone else in attendance to seek shelter inside of a safe building.