The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

The U's are in the offensive backfield

The U's are in the offensive backfield for weeks one and three in the NFL preseason. Watching tonights game, it looks as if they go back to normal when the ball is snapped inside the 5 yard line.

It will be interesting to hear what they think of it after the week is completed. If they go there next year I bet the NCAA would follow one or two years later at the longest.
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Let's just hope HS doesn't follow. Too many HS Umpires don't move well enough and couldn't keep up. On top of that, they would be more noticable out in the open and it wouldn't look good when they slip that Snickers out of their pocket and sneak a bite!
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

I hate it that we don't get preseason games in Brasil. Nor college games

Only NFL and even at that, mostly sunday and monday night games only
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Who's got the LOS on a pass thrown at or just beyond the NZ?
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Who's got the LOS on a pass thrown at or just beyond the NZ?
L has LOS and ineligibles downfield.

I don't think it would filter down to HS, 5-man crews. The coverage with a 5 man crew may not be complete enough. Plus, they are doing it mainly for safety and obviously most HS players are not near as fast as NCAA or NFL players.

I do know they are also having the U go back to regular position at the 2 minute warning. This is so when a team goes into the hurry up offense mode, the officials can also speed up in getting the dead ball back and spotted, which they do a great job of.

Also, mechanics wise the U has opposite-side tackle, guard, center, and guard and the R has the tackle on the opposite side of his position and is responsible for the QB.

In last nights Indy/Dallas game they had the U go to normal position inside the 5 yard line, but this must be a crew optional decision as it was not in their discussed mechanics.
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
The U's are in the offensive backfield for weeks one and three in the NFL preseason. Watching tonights game, it looks as if they go back to normal when the ball is snapped inside the 5 yard line.

It will be interesting to hear what they think of it after the week is completed. If they go there next year I bet the NCAA would follow one or two years later at the longest.
Is it as good a position from which to see illegal use of hands on running plays, or in the middle on pass plays? Or grabbing the face mask or butt tackling?

Robert
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: One of the places where I think the U might be missed: on curl patterns where a low pass is grabbed (or not) just before it strikes the ground and the wings are screened. The U has always been the one to save the bacon on that call.

I'll ask a friend of mine how they're handling that and get back to you.
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I agree Bob, but I do think he can still help on pass plays since he will not have to watch the QB and can follow the ball. The only problem is having his vision blocked by the O and D linemen.
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: One of the places where I think the U might be missed: on curl patterns where a low pass is grabbed (or not) just before it strikes the ground and the wings are screened. The U has always been the one to save the bacon on that call.

I'll ask a friend of mine how they're handling that and get back to you.
That's what I was going to ask... who's gonna rule over the area where the Umpire used to be. Only thought that crossed my mind would be to advance the back judge a little to cover that. But that would open a gap deep field
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
...Only thought that crossed my mind would be to advance the back judge a little to cover that. But that would open a gap deep field
REPLY: Don't think you're going to see that since he has deep responsibility and can't afford to get beat deep. Also, 99% of the time, he'd have a worse view of that curl pattern catch/trap than the wings.
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

When using this mechanic, the U can help, but the L might be most valuable in his position, holding the line of scrimmage. He should have a good angle on most of these. The exception being when the receiver is going away from him.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Regarding the catch/trap of low passes...I did ask an NFL friend of mine who said that they don't yet have a prescribed means of compensating for this deficiency. He also did remind me that this is only an experiment for weeks 1 and 3 of the pre-season.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

This would be my major concern especially on the smaller size crews.

I worked the wing on a 4-man crew here in the UK a couple of days ago and was screened out on a reception. I had no clue whether the kid caught it or not (usually you have a gut feeling one way or another). Luckily I had a decent Ump on the day and when I looked across for help, I got eye contact and the slight affirmative nod.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that it probably won't filter down to the 5-man mechanic. The L and LJ are downfield on passes and with the U in the backfield, we'd miss ineligibles and the help on coverage of the hook passes to the inside. I don't see the advantages, even in the pros. I've noticed some pretty intense sprinting to spot the ball, too. Normally, the U is near the end of the run and can easily get to the spot. The 4 NFL guys at the clinic we were at in June were not endorsing it and I suspect that they weren't as vocal as they'd like to be about it. Maybe feedback from the preseason experiment will change their minds.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire already there in Minnesota...

Here in Minnesota, the umpire is already placed in K's backfield for
punts. He is responsible for the snapper, interior numbering exceptions
and line play.

Most umpires here like it...

I'm not sold on it, since it makes for some interesting decisions when
K decides to be A and go for it... does the umpire sprint back behind
to his normal position? I'm sure you can think of many more dilemmas for
where the Umpire should be positioned.