The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 12:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Unauthorized Persons

Let's discuss a bit about when people who are not players interfere with the game.

Play: WR A85 is running a pattern with the ball in the air. Team B bench personelle comes onto the field and interferes with A85's chance to catch the ball.

Ruling:
  • Canadian:
  • NFHS:
  • NCAA:
  • NFL:
Play: WR A85 is running a pattern, and catches the ball. Team B bench personelle comes onto the field and tackles A85. In (a) A85 did not have an obvious chance to score a TD and in (b) A85 had nothing but grass in front of him.

Ruling:
  • Canadian:
  • NFHS:
  • NCAA:
  • NFL:
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Canfootball52
As I'm at work right now, I do not have my Rule Book available. I belive that in the first play, Canadian rules would give A a completed pass at the spot he was interfered with. In the second play, Canadian rules give A a touchdown.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

NF gives the referee the authority to do anything he deems appropriate in these situations. I would tend to be extremely liberal in my award in all of your examples.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA: we have the discretion to award a TD on the play, but I'd probably give them the reception at the spot, plus 15 yards minimum and maybe a TD if there was nobody behind the receiver. Offending player would be ejected.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canfootball52
As I'm at work right now, I do not have my Rule Book available. I belive that in the first play, Canadian rules would give A a completed pass at the spot he was interfered with. In the second play, Canadian rules give A a touchdown.

I'm at home now and in the Canadian Amateur Football Rule Book, Rule 1-13-4(b) says that if it is obvious to the Referee that a TD would have been scored, then he shall award a TD. Otherwise, since it happened in the Field of play, the ball is moved half the distance to the goal line from Point of Foul, and Team A is awarded 3 downs regardless of the time remaining on the clock.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canfootball52
Otherwise, since it happened in the Field of play, the ball is moved half the distance to the goal line from Point of Foul, and Team A is awarded 3 downs regardless of the time remaining on the clock.
Now that's a penalty!!! 3 downs no matter what. Even if they fumble or throw an interception??? I hope your last statement was a summary and not verbatim from the book.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the verbatim from the GWN Rule Book...

"If it is obvious to the R that a TD would have been scored, or if the unauthorized person is a substitute, coach, trainer or other occupant of the term bench, he shall award the touchdown. If not, the non-offending team shall be awarded:

1. Half the distance to the GL from the PLS or PBD

2. For illegal interference on a forward pass-
- Field of Play - Half the distance to the goal line from the PF
- End Zone - Against Team A, award the ball to Team A @ 1 yard line unless a TD is awarded.
- Against Team B, award the ball to Team B @ 10 yard line.

3. Three downs, regardless of time remaining in the period unless Team A scores on the 1st or 2nd down, or loses possession on the 1st or 2nd down, with Team B making a legal recovery"

And, worst of all, Celine Dion comes to your house and sings a song and then a Mountie beats you with his stetson....yikes, eh?
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Hoss. I did not feel like typing the rule verbatim, as I had not drank my morning coffee yet, so I summarized my answer.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

I trusted that they hadn't written a rule that overlooked the possibility of a turnover but just wanted to make sure. Otherwise that must be one of the most severe, and clearly written, special case rule I have heard of.

My thought has always been, using NF rules, that if we didn't award the TD to first go to the spot where the first chance for a legal tackle would have been. Then mark off at least 15 yards from that point and repeat the down.

It's nice to hear how another set of rules deals with this situation.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

I concur with blue37, I'd assume best case for A if B is going to pull something like that.
Old Fri Aug 03, 2007, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossHumard
And, worst of all, Celine Dion comes to your house and sings a song and then a Mountie beats you with his stetson....yikes, eh?
The Mountie wouldn't scare me. After listening to Celine I'd be numb.