Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Smile

CALLING ALL OFFICIALS!
I am in serious need of referee camps and contact persons.
The time to start sending in deposits or payments in full is now, so can all officials with camp info please email it to me.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question Basketball Officials Camp Websites And Contact Persons

After 99 persons visited this post As of 2/13/02 no one replied to the question, That's a terrible thing! It just goes to show you that some Officials have a fear of competition.If this is not true then what camps are most of you officials attending and why not share there contact persons mailing or email address.Maybe someone will take a risk and share some info, It would be nice to work at a camp with some of the best officials in the world.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

coast 2 coast. go to refereeschool.com for info.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

There is a camp every year at Oral Roberts University
in Tulsa, OK in June. I'm not sure who the contact person
is, but you can contact Bob Richardson with the Oklahoma
Secondary Schools Activities Association (OSSAA)at the following number: (405) 840-1116. He should be able to
help you. The cost is around $225.00.

I believe this is the only camp recognized by the OSSAA
for a required camp of all officials in Oklahoma.

Good Luck
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

why the same stuff?

Look,

You made this same request a month ago. When you didn't get responses to your liking, you posted a whiny follow-up similar to the one you just posted. Now, let's pretend it's the case that there are guys and gals reading the board who have camp info that they do not want to share because they're afraid you might take their spot on a conference roster. Do you think that they're going to change their minds and give you the info because you said, "What, are you a fraidy cat?"

This is nonsense. The whole purpose of this board is for officials to help other officials improve their skills. Sharing camp information falls under that heading, and when people have it, they'll share it. But don't try to goad them into doing so. Ask politely, and accept any responses, or a lack of responses, graciously.

Let me give you a piece of advice for when you go to college camps. Don't expect your fellow campers to help you. Some might, but you're in for a rude awakening if you expect them too. And the worst thing you can do at a two- or three-day camp is develop a reputation for being a whiner. And believe me, word spreads like wildfire in those situations. There are a lot of people out there who can call travels and holds. Assignors are looking for people with good attitudes, people willing to accept criticism and work hard to improve. The kind of attitude you exemplify when you b&m about other officials being afraid of competition is going to come out in a camp setting if you don't work on it now.

Take this for what it is: constructive criticism.

jb
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Basketball Officials Camp Websites And Contact Persons

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
After 99 persons visited this post As of 2/13/02 no one replied to the question, That's a terrible thing! It just goes to show you that some Officials have a fear of competition.
I'm going to echo jbduke here. How the heck does it show that nobody wants to help you, let alone a "fear of competition"? What it shows is:

1) Nobody really knows enough to help you. What level of camp are you looking for? 2-man, 3-man? High School, college D1 conference tryout? Pro (coast2coast)? Where are you located? Are you willing to fly cross country to go to a good camp? If you want specifics, then give specifics.

2) We're tired of talking about this. We went through this exact same tantrum last month.

Do an internet search, or ask your local board members for advice. Or post a question like this:

"Hi, I live in Philadelphia, PA and am looking for a good teaching camp that emphasizes 2-man mechanics. I'd like to stay local (within about 2 hours drive). Anybody know of a camp that might be beneficial to a 3rd-year ref?"

Good luck.

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 11:36am
9 times

I know about a lot of camps, but I can't imagine why you would go from NYC (where you live) to the western US to a camp. No supervisor will hire you. Why waste the time, and if you are really ready for college ball, you must know who to talk to in your area and what is going on around you. If you don't know this, are you sure you are ready to move up? Lets face it, it is still somewhat about who you know.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, if you have not been to college camps in the past and/or are not on any college staffs, I would think twice about spending the big bucks on coast-to-coast or many of the "big name" camps....Unless you are going ONLY to learn.
You will learn a lot at these camps, but chances of being picked up are slim. First off, do you want Men's or Women's Ball?? Men's requires significantly more A** kissing.
If I were in your shoes, I would contact the AD's at the JUCO and D2 and D3 colleges in your area. Find out who does the booking and contact them directly. Going to their camps will not only increase your chances of being picked up, but you will find that a lot of the big time officials not only work D1 ball, but fill in at these lower levels on "off" nights....So you will meet a lot of people who can help you down the road.

Again, my opinion. Take it for what its worth.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by OK Ref
There is a camp every year at Oral Roberts University
in Tulsa, OK in June.
Do we have to "speak in tongues" when we report fouls?!?

Because I'm not very good at "speaking in tongues."
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
No, Juulie. But if you don't call at least 20 fouls on the opposition, the Lord will call Mr. Roberts home immediately after the game.

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
No, Juulie. But if you don't call at least 20 fouls on the opposition, the Lord will call Mr. Roberts home immediately after the game.

Chuck
If you hadn't told me that, it would have beeen a lot easier to be neutral!!
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Chuck
If you hadn't told me that, it would have beeen a lot easier to be neutral!! [/B]
Gonna hold the whistle that night, huh?

Chuck