The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Medical Info

It seems that every year we read about an official who dies or otherwise is severly injured during a game. As a result I've thought about creating a form for myself and the guys on my crew similar to the emergancy medical cards the players fill out. It would have emergancy contact info, relevant medical information and the like. Each guy would fill it out and put it in a sealed envelope. All the envelopes would be placed in another sealed envelope. All the crew members would know the location of the envelope. Is this a good idea? ANyone see problems? Does anyone already do this?
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

I remember a few years ago in PA, the PIAA sent officials emergency info cards with their registrations. They were credit card-sized and had things like allergies, health conditions, and emergency numbers. The idea was to keep the card on your person during the game in case something happens. Considering that the only place you would generally see regular crews is varsity football, it seems like a better approach in case something would happen during a game in which you're not as familiar with your fellow officials.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
This is a great idea!

My last crew chief has a very bad kidney disease requiring dialysis and hopefully soon a transplant. I also have heard of a member or 2 of associations around me going down. As a paramedic myself I see this as a great tool, often when we are faced with an unconscious person we know little to nothing about their history, the first place we look is in the billfold for pertinent, possibly life-saving, information.

If you could possibly post your guys' card I'd like to see it, and possibly could use it in our association or community as a whole, if its ok with you.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

I think it would be easy enough to print the information on a business card size piece of paper, and have it laminated. Then you could carry it in your pocket during a game.

Your name
Emergency contact name and phone
medical alerts if any or none
prescription drugs being taken

We had an official transported to the hospital at halftime a couple years ago. He was in a lot of pain and had trouble breathing and making certain movements. It turned out to be a torn abdominal muscle.

The problem we had was logistical. We arrived onsite in 2 vehicles, one was his. The keys were in the lockerroom, but we had no idea what to do with the car. We ended up calling his wife on his cell phone, which was with his keys. We dropped the car at a location she could easily get to to pick it up, and left the keys locked inside. Then the real problem was he was supposed to buy the first round and he wasn't there to do so. All turned out well though. My advice is be prepared.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick KY
Then the real problem was he was supposed to buy the first round and he wasn't there to do so.
Well, if his wallet was with the keys and cellphone, then this problem has a relatively simple solution, no?
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 09:14pm
Chain of Fools

Our booking agent has all that info

and can be reached on Friday nights via cell.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

I think that's a great idea. Carrying something on one's person is probably best - especially for any official with allergies or a pre-existing condition. Maybe combine a pocket card with a more complete medical history/contact list in the off-field envelope.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Roam beat me to it. Just remember that when you give him his wallet back to say something like, "did you realize you only had a 10,000 dollar limit on your credit card?"
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I had planed to do this with my crew this year. One sheet with contact names and phone numbers. I never thought of medical info until it was mentioned in some posts. I'll add this to my list.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

...Torre hit a foul tip, which broke his athletic cup,...

If Fisk did not catch it, it wasn't a foul tip. It was simply a foul ball.