The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Outstanding job by the Super Bowl Crew!

Was there anything that was even questionable that they had? They talked when the needed to, hustled well, and seemed to be in great control of the game.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

You mean besides the BJ that overruled the catch on the sidelines when the HL had a clear view of the feet AND possession? I bet he felt dumb after that...

Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973
You mean besides the BJ that overruled the catch on the sidelines when the HL had a clear view of the feet AND possession? I bet he felt dumb after that...

First of all schmitty, it was not the B, he is in the middle of the field, it was the S, and if you know how the sideline mechanics work for a 6 or 7 man crew, the S did have the feet in that situation. The official who can see the front numbers has the catch, that was the H, and the official who can see the back numbers has the feet. The right foot definitely came off the ground right after he possessed the ball, so if he went foot/ball, as he should have, he would not have thought he had possession before the foot came up. The left foot was drug throughout the catch. The only thing they could have done better is signaled incomplete right away, cuz if one has it as incomplete, you can signal right away, but if you have a catch, you wait and make eye contact with your sideline crewmate before signalling complete.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

I'm not claiming to know anything, but I thought I saw him signalling like the receiver didn't have possession. If the HL saw the catch was good, shouldn't he stand up for his call?

All I know for sure is that most mechanics can't be figured out by common sense. There's a method to the madness!!

Last edited by schmitty1973; Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 01:07am.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
First of all schmitty, it was not the B, he is in the middle of the field, it was the S, and if you know how the sideline mechanics work for a 6 or 7 man crew, the S did have the feet in that situation. The official who can see the front numbers has the catch, that was the H, and the official who can see the back numbers has the feet. The right foot definitely came off the ground right after he possessed the ball, so if he went foot/ball, as he should have, he would not have thought he had possession before the foot came up. The left foot was drug throughout the catch. The only thing they could have done better is signaled incomplete right away, cuz if one has it as incomplete, you can signal right away, but if you have a catch, you wait and make eye contact with your sideline crewmate before signalling complete.
MJT, the SJ signalled that he bobbled the ball, not that he was OOB. Why he made such a signal, I don't know either. The H clearly had a catch, the ball was not bobbled, which is why it was overturned.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

I thought they did a decent job. The only thing, and of course this is only my opinion, is that I don't agree with a couple of mechanics the NFL is doing. One, the umpire blowing the whistle on every running play up the middle. Two, the hand signals of the officials who threw the flag to outwardly tell everyone what they have instead of telling the referee and letting him relay the penalty. I think they probably do this so that nothing can happen with their call (being overturned), but it seems to me they could be asking for trouble if they make a signal and don't accept help from their crew. Again, that's just my opinion. If I made it to the NFL, I would do as I was told
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRef
I thought they did a decent job. The only thing, and of course this is only my opinion, is that I don't agree with a couple of mechanics the NFL is doing. One, the umpire blowing the whistle on every running play up the middle. Two, the hand signals of the officials who threw the flag to outwardly tell everyone what they have instead of telling the referee and letting him relay the penalty. I think they probably do this so that nothing can happen with their call (being overturned), but it seems to me they could be asking for trouble if they make a signal and don't accept help from their crew. Again, that's just my opinion. If I made it to the NFL, I would do as I was told
I don't have a problem with the U killing the play when the ball falls at his feet. I do it myself from time to time.

But I do agree regarding the signals. That's a big non-no in my area.but I constantly see it in the NFL. What happens when the U comes firing in with a false start and the LJ runs in with a NZ infraction? Not good, no mater how you slice it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

But I do agree regarding the signals. That's a big non-no in my area.but I constantly see it in the NFL. What happens when the U comes firing in with a false start and the LJ runs in with a NZ infraction? Not good, no mater how you slice it.
Those are the times when they get together, talk about it and decide which occurred first or takes precedence. They did that a time or two when needed.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Those are the times when they get together, talk about it and decide which occurred first or takes precedence. They did that a time or two when needed.
That's when the coach's take the opportunity take get on your back..."Hey, you pointed their way and you let the umpire change your mind!?" ... "You gotta be kidding me! What are you, a rookie!?"

Not that the coaches of last night would ever do something like that, but I'm sure I would here it in my college conferences or high school.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973

I agree, that was the only thing that jumped out at me. HL was 5 feet away. I can't believe he came in that strong withut talking to him. After the review i bet the wing had a grin on his face.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
This is what the NFL wants them to do. It is not something they just are doing without training. I am also sure this was not the only time these guys did this. These officials did the best job all year according to the NFL Supervisor of Officials. I agree we would not do this, but they are told to. Like an NFL umpire says to a group of us often, “They know (NFL) when we scratch our arm let alone what calls we miss.”

Peace
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I thought that the force-out call in one of the playoff games was used much better than they used it in the Super Bowl. The one official was clear that the receiver did not get the second foot down which may be what is required but I thought that he could have discussed it a bit with others before the call was changed to a force-out. However, that may have been a function of these officials not working with each other every week. I thought force-out was the correct call initially but the covering official went with a clear incomplete pass and then was convinced it was a force-out. That one could have looked better.

A couple of hits I saw gave me some questions. The first was the call was against the Colts on the kickoff later in the game when they had a late hit helmet-to-helmet. The replay showed that the hit really wasn't helmet-to-helmet even though it looked like it was from most angles. However the contact may have been late in general and the call may have still been right even though the description may have not been accurate.

The second was when #42 for the Colts speared his own teammate, injuring his arm late in the game. I can't believe that if this contact had been made directly to the receiver that there wouldn't have been some sort of fine or possibly even a foul. However maybe they don't want that called.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Aren't the crews for the Super Bowl and championship games "all-star" crews?
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 04:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes they are.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 09:05pm
M.A.S.H.

I thought they did a pretty good job...and I'm a Bears fan.