The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Are you ready for some FOOTBAAAALL?

Well, after wildcard-weekend, all the wildcard teams are gone. Nothing but Division Champs left.

I'm for the Colts. Can anyone stop that offense? Nope. Will the defense show up? I hope so. They looked good last week.

Who do you think will win this weekend?

My Pics:
Indy over Baltimore
San Diego over New England
Chicago over Seattle
N.O. over Philly

Regardless of what I think, they are going to go ahead and play the games anyhow. LOL.

Hey!!!
Don't get between me and the TV.

I love football. This is the best time of the year for the NFL fans.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Well, I have to preface what I'm about to say with I'm a college football fan more so than a pro guy and I live in Baltimore, but am not a Ravens fan. But what I will say is that I believe the Ravens have a decent chance to win this weekend. Defense wins championships and it looks like the Ravens D is almost back to it's old form. It's super-crazy around here with everyone excited about the games (also the Philly game) this weekend. All I hope for is some good football to watch...no blowouts.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Ref
I'm for the Colts. Can anyone stop that offense?
Yes, Baltimore can.

Baltimore over Indy
New Englad over San Deigo

New Orleans over Philadelphia
Chicago over Seattle

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Grossman will be the death of the Bears!

Last edited by MJT; Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 10:22am.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

I like all 4 wildcard teams to "upset" all of the divisional champs.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Grossman takes a lot of heat. Are there any real superstars among the QB's today? Peyton gets a lot of accolades. Brady, too. Any others or will they show up in the playoffs? I like the job Garcia has done in Philly. He is gutsy and continues to help teams. These games always seem to be more interesting to me than the Super Bowl.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

I heard that in the divisional round, home team wins 77% of the time. Thus, when picking, if you choose only one road team to win, you should get at least 50% of the games right if that holds true. In fact, you'll either get 2 right and 2 wrong, or all 4 right! Again, assuming that holds.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDeuce
I like all 4 wildcard teams to "upset" all of the divisional champs.
Good luck, considering that all the wildcard teams are watching on TV already.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Ref
Well, after wildcard-weekend, all the wildcard teams are gone. Nothing but Division Champs left.

I'm for the Colts. Can anyone stop that offense? Nope. Will the defense show up? I hope so. They looked good last week.

Who do you think will win this weekend?

My Pics:
Indy over Baltimore
San Diego over New England
Chicago over Seattle
N.O. over Philly
These are my picks as well. I'm not 100% comfortable with ANY of them, though. Indy was only 4-4 on the road, and played a totally cream-puff schedule. Picking against Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in the playoffs is rarely a good idea. Seattle's running on pure guts and good karma, but that can take you far, especially when the opposing QB is inconsistent (though, to be fair, I like Grossman). And the Eagles are the hottest team in the NFL.

However, Baltimore has also played a weak schedule, they've had very close games with some bad teams, and they're coming off a bye week (which in my mind is a disadvantage). San Diego has certainly looked like the best team in the league for most of the season, and a 10-game win streak is tough to argue with. The Bears have been making the rest of the NFC look bad all season, while the Seahawks have injury problems. And the Saints are not only the emotional favorite, but they should still be pissed coming off the loss to Carolina two weeks ago.

In short, these should be some very good games. Now if I can just get through them with having to hear Joe Theismann, I'll be happy.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

NO over Philly - easy, and by a lot.
Balt over Indi - easy, and by a lot.
Seat over Chic in a low scoring shocker. Take the under.
NE over SD - Schottenheimer --- awful in the playoffs. Brady --- not so much. Rivers will be great ... but not yet.

One great parlay out there. Take Seattle and the under. Then place the same amount on Chicago and the over. If a lot of points are scored, Chicago wins.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

No.

Football season ended last Monday night.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Indy was only 4-4 on the road, and played a totally cream-puff schedule.
That's not necessarily true. Three of their four road wins were against the Patriots, Giants, and Jets, all playoff teams. Their fourth road win was at Denver when they were 6-1 or something like that. Their four road losses were to Dallas and Tennessee when they were hot and Jacksonville who had extra motivation since they had been beaten by the Colts so much over the years. The Tennessee and Houston games were both on last second field goals. In their home games they beat Philadelphia, Cincinnati, and Miami (when they were on a roll). They had some cream puffs like anyone else but I wouldn't consider their schedule easier than many others.

That said, I'm not sure they will beat Baltimore. Unlike San Diego and New Orleans, Baltimore has several players with extensive playoff experience. With Steve McNair leading the offense and Ray Lewis leading the defense they have people who have "been there." It will be a tough game but if the Colts can jump ahead early I like their chances. Otherwise they will probably be in a dog fight that will be hard to win. The teams that beat the Colts pressure Manning into mistakes or keep their offense on the field so much the Colts can only score so many points. In the Texans game the Colts scored 4 of the 6 times they had the ball but they only got the ball 6 times in the entire game!! And they couldn't stop Houston.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

All good comments.

I'm not a coach in the NFL, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

The Colts certainly have their work cut out for them. The Ravens defense is HOT, HOT, HOT. LOL. The teams that have had success in beating the Colts have used the following formula. Pressure on the quarterback. Bump the receivers off the line. (messes up the timing between Peyton and his receivers. Timing is so important to what they do). Run the ball UP THE MIDDLE, eat the clock, score at the end of the drive. As always, trying to double-team a receiver just won't work. I think turn-overs will be the deciding factor. Whoever wins the turn-over stats will win the game. I have nothing but respect for McNair. What a tough, gritty leader he is.

In the WISH list catagory: Colts beat Ravens, New England beats San Diego. Divisional playoff game in Indianapolis. Wooo-Hooo. Anyone got tickets?

In the playoffs, anything can happen. You certainly can't count out any team's chance to win. I guess that's why they go ahead and play the games.

Good luck to all teams and fans. Let's hope all the games are good, close battles. Maybe overtime in every game. Yea!!!! Football at its best.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
NO over Philly - easy, and by a lot.
Seat over Chic in a low scoring shocker.
I hope you're half right on the NFC side. I have that NFC Championship ticket in my hand just waiting to use it.

Go Birds!

Quick edit here...I'm watching ESPN while on the treadmill. Chris Berman a.k.a. Swami Sez...

Colts, Eagles, Seattle, New England

I can't imagine EVERY road team winning in the divisional round...it would be strange.

Last edited by ljudge; Sat Jan 13, 2007 at 09:51am.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 04:29pm

Predictions:

Ravens over Colts. Too much defense. Harrison sucks in playoffs.

Saints over Eagles. Noise level in Superdome. Brees, Bush, Duece, Colston, Horn...too many weapons.

Chargers over Patriots. Last season the Chargers put up 41 on the Pats in Foxborough. This year, better L.T., better defense, home field advantage. I watched every Chargers game, they are for real.

DA BEARS over Seahawks, IF...the good Grossman shows up, not the enept one.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25