The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Unsportsmanlike Conduct in Rose Bowl?

I know its a bowl game, but...

There were several acts by USC receivers that looked like unsportsmanlike conduct. First, a receiver caught a TD pass, then made like Michael Jordan and shot a fade away jumper with the football. Second, another receiver pointed at the Michigan defender for several yards as he ran the ball into the EZ. The Michigan player responded with a late hit and was flagged for it. Last, another USC receiver caught a pass and was tackled after reaching the line to gain. As he got up he tossed the ball to the Michigan defender who tackled him in a taunting manner. Noe of these acts were flagged.

In high school I would have flagged any and all these acts. Thoughts anyone?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick KY
I know its a bowl game, but...

There were several acts by USC receivers that looked like unsportsmanlike conduct. First, a receiver caught a TD pass, then made like Michael Jordan and shot a fade away jumper with the football. Second, another receiver pointed at the Michigan defender for several yards as he ran the ball into the EZ. The Michigan player responded with a late hit and was flagged for it. Last, another USC receiver caught a pass and was tackled after reaching the line to gain. As he got up he tossed the ball to the Michigan defender who tackled him in a taunting manner. Noe of these acts were flagged.

In high school I would have flagged any and all these acts. Thoughts anyone?
Jarrett, #8 on USC, was the player involved in each of these plays.

I'm a USC Trojan fan but I was surprised that Jarrett was not flagged for the last situation, in which he caught a pass for a first down and then dropped the ball in the lap of Michigan #19, the same player who was flagged for a PF for the late hit in the end zone.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I was only casually watching and did not realize it was the same player in all three situations. I do recall Mussberger commenting about how receivers need to act like Larry Fitzgerald and not Terrell Owens. He was talking specifically to the unsportsmanlike actions I listed above.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I, too, noticed that it was always #8 for USC doing the questionable acts. I still don't agree with the call on #19 for Michigan for a late hit against #8 on the touchdown as the contact was just after #8 crossed the goal line but he started his attempt prior to the ball crossing the line and he didn't hit him with his head or anything. I just saw him trying to strip the ball and as #8 was running slowly, "taunting" Michigan that gave #19 the chance to catch up and try to strip it. I saw that call as questionable at best. I am guessing that the covering official saw it as either late or a dangerous shot.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Jarrett, #8 on USC, was the player involved in each of these plays.

I'm a USC Trojan fan but I was surprised that Jarrett was not flagged for the last situation, in which he caught a pass for a first down and then dropped the ball in the lap of Michigan #19, the same player who was flagged for a PF for the late hit in the end zone.
While #19 caught the ball, #8 would've caught my flag.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Three separate incidents involving Jarrett should have been flagged as Uns. Conduct (the third wouldn't have happened since he should have been DQ'd after the first two): 1) Basketball jump-shot after a score; 2) Taunting a pursuing defender on a score (which resulted in a dead ball pers. foul on MI #19) and 3) Pushing the ball at a defender after a catch. Big 10 Crew will undoubtedly hear it from Mr. Parry - they otherwise did a great job!
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

High school kids and below see it and then they do it. We flag them and they don't understand why. I see it at the college level almost every week, and at the professional (!) level every week.
The Professional (!) officials need to call those plays!
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

I would think we would all agree that those needed to be flagged. I thought they were easy calls, but this was a very flag "stingy" crew...they didn't have a single penalty until the second half. I thought they did an excellent job other than those no calls.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Taunting outside EZ

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if Jarret would have been flagged for USC (as he should have been!) for taunting #19 from around the 3yl, no touchdown, right?

J
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rulebook rule 9-2-1-a states basically that there shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct and specifically states that no player shall "point the finger(s)...at an opponent"

Penalty: 15 yards from succeeding spot and possible disqualification.

I think I may know what you are thinking about...fouls by B on a try after a change of possession....rule 8-3-4-b..."A score by a team committing a foul during the down is cancelled"

If I'm wrong, somebody correct me.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Under Fed rules, UC fouls are penalized as dead ball fouls, so the score would count, and enforcement would be on the try. Since there was another foul on the play, a dead ball late hit PF by B. these fouls would be enforced in the order in which they occurred. So 15 yards to B18, then 1/2 the distance to the B9. A would try from the B9. Not sure how NCAA would enforce these.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

They would "cancel". That's how the NCAA refers to this.

I agree with the rest, there should have been a few flags for UC fouls tossed. By not doing so, it makes the call harder for us in our next seasons games. Call them early and there will not be any later when it might really matter.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysef
Please correct me if I am wrong, but if Jarret would have been flagged for USC (as he should have been!) for taunting #19 from around the 3yl, no touchdown, right?

J
Just a couple of questions for NCAA guys. I do FED, not NCAA. Are USC fouls enforced from succeeding spot? Are fouls by B on a TD enforced on the kickoff?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB1
Three separate incidents involving Jarrett should have been flagged as Uns. Conduct (the third wouldn't have happened since he should have been DQ'd after the first two): 1) Basketball jump-shot after a score; 2) Taunting a pursuing defender on a score (which resulted in a dead ball pers. foul on MI #19) and 3) Pushing the ball at a defender after a catch. Big 10 Crew will undoubtedly hear it from Mr. Parry - they otherwise did a great job!
Wasn't a Big 10 crew. ACC crew. Big 10 couldn't work it cuz Big 10 team involved.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB1
Big 10 Crew will undoubtedly hear it from Mr. Parry - they otherwise did a great job!
As has been piinted out, it was actually an ACC crew. The confusion probably stems from the announcer's pregame comment that Parry was in the booth should they need help with an explanation. It was somewhat strange that he would be there as opposed to in a stadium where he had a crew working yesterday. Perhaps because Michigan was in the game? However, that would open him up for the critcism that he was there to "protect" one of his conference's schools. I was hoping against hope that Mushberger would get him to comment on camera about #8's actions. "Say there Mr Parry...our sources tell us you have been behind several training videos for ALL NCAA officials that have instructed officials to not permit certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct. You saw the actions of (Whatever his name was), tell us if those rise to the level of conduct you believe should be penalized."