The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 12:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseMan
Got to sit and watch the OSU/Michigan game today which was a nice treat. I believe in the 3rd quarter, an OSU receiver made a great acrobatic catch in the end zone right near the sideline. Made a great effort to keep his feet in (i know he only needs one, but that one was really really close).

Anyway, the SJ made a great call. He was right on the pylon, about 3 yards back. You could clearly see him looking at the feet, then double-checking to make sure the receiver still had the ball and then signaling touchdown.

On the subsequent replays, after the announcers gushed over the catch (and rightly so), to my surprise, they began to gush over the official's call and mechanics. Herbstriet I think it was, even said "That's great mechanics by that official". Brent M. then identified the side judge by his full name and commended the entire crew for the job they had done thus far.

I was pleasantly surprised and proud at the same time.
I thought SJ waited for BJ, which means to me that the announcers missed it again. [ Although, it coulda been another game I watched.]
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: I don't think there's a foul there Monte. A pick play involves an offensive player going out and initiating contact with a defender for the express purpose of taking him out of coverage. If the defender swerves to avoid that contact, I don't believe there's a foul.
I agree with you Bob, if B moves to avoid contact he has just taken himself out of the play. No foul.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 07:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I thought SJ waited for BJ, which means to me that the announcers missed it again. [ Although, it coulda been another game I watched.]
Must have been another game Mick. The SJ nailed it all by his lonesome.

Lloyd Carr is a whiney idiot, and I was disgusted by his actions trying to blame the refs for everything that didn't go his way. Bo could sure argue with the best of them, but he never carried on like a crybaby like Carr did. I'm sure he would be disappointed too.

If I didn't despise Ohio State so much, I would have rooted for them just because of Carr's behavior.

GO TROJANS!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy0125
The announcers also supported the officials on the play that may have sealed the game for Ohio State - the hit to the head by the Michigan defender. All 3 announcers agreed that it was the right call, even in such an important situation (it would have been 4th and long). Debatable whether the hit was out of bounds. A no-call would have been best on a late hit, but the hit to the head, and with the helment made it a call that had to be made (epecially being that they always protect the QB). They broadcast team also made a good point in distinguishing between NFL (helmet to helmet) and the college rule.

On another note: did anyone notice the difference in demeanor of the two head coaches? Jim Tressel was cool and calm the entire game, and is the same EVERY game. You didn't see him arguing when his player leveled the center on the punt, or on any other foul, for that matter. Meanwhile Lloyd Carr was arguing with the Linesman at every opportunity. When his player was downed at the 1 yard line, he was arguing the spot instead of taking care of the next play.
Lloyd Carr lost all credibility with his antics in that game. How can you argue a call on the other sideline and especially one that is a safety issue? The replay showed how bad a hit it was and the announcers concurred.