The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm starting a job with the athletic department as a flag football official, and I was wondering:

How do you control the throw of the flag? Try as I might, I could not get the proper aim when practicing tonight.

Thanks for your help.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Sew a small weight, such as a metal washer or fishing sinker into the center. Just make sure you don't throw it at a player.

Bob
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I have the ball centered flags that you can buy. This is what I try to do. I observe where the foul occurs and aim my flag about a yard short of that spot. I figure I should get a about a yard's worth of bounce past that point, and shoudl be in pretty good shape. Also, try and get a good look a the yard line, so you can move the flag, if the wind were to take it, or a player kicks it or something else goofy like that.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I'm starting a job with the athletic department as a flag football official, and I was wondering:

How do you control the throw of the flag? Try as I might, I could not get the proper aim when practicing tonight.

Thanks for your help.
It's only necessary that you throw the flag on the proper yard line. It's good if you can hit the spot of the foul but not absolutely necessary. Just be accurate with regards to the yard line that the foul occurred.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 07, 2001, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Here's my suggestion: most flags I have seen come with a wimpy little washer as a weight, sewn in a pouch. On both m flags (orange for Canadian, yeller for American) I have opened up the pouch and filled 'em with SAND. Then I stitch 'em back up again. When I put 'em in the pocket, I fold across diagonally to create a triangle, and then do that again, so I have a smallish triangle with the center now the end. I then fold the ends over to make a longish rectangle of folds. Sucker flies like a bat outta hell. Modelled it after a 20-year vet who calls his flag "the frequent flyer." I can almost always get the spot within a step or two from a reasonable distance. (Often running four man crews, means you gotta cover a lot of ground)
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

I use a golfball in the center of mine. Had enough weight to go where I want it too, but is not so dense as bolts, shot gun pellets, etc, as to cause damage.