The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Coach Suspended

http://www.standard.net/xx/news/90987/

Weber State head coach Ron McBride was suspended for this Saturday's game because of some post-game comments he made regarding a play last Saturday against Montana State. Weber lined up in scrimmage kick formation on 4th and 1, snapped to the short man who ran for an apparent 1st down. At this point in the game Weber was leading by 2 in the fourth quarter. The HL threw his flag at the snap and let the play go off. After the play was over, the R talked with the HL and then announced there was a false start on the left tackle, no number given. On the replay, I did not see any movement.
Anyway, the comment quoted in the paper from McBride was that the official made a mistake and had an inadvertent whistle or something. (McBride obviously doesn't even know what that means.)
Looks like the Big Sky conference has a very low tolerance when it comes to saying anything about the officials. I think the comments he made were pretty tame. Just curious what others take is on this.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I'd like to know why the HL flagged at the snap and let the play go instead of killing it with the false start.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know why he didn't blow it. The play went for 12 yards and seemed to end normally, then the HL starts blowing a "funny" whistle after the play to indicate he has a flag. After talking with the R they have no play and a FS on the offense.
It looked to me like the crew blew this one, and that happens, I just thought the comments by the coach were relatively tame and didn't warrant a one game suspension. I don't know what other paper they are referring to in the article, so maybe the quote from the coach to that paper was worse, but based on the quote in the local paper I think the Big Sky is overreacting if that is all they have. Coaches say stuff like this all the time, and in this case, should be given a little latitude considering what I believe was a blown call.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the Big Sky has zero tolerance. Good for them.