The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Injured player?

Fed rules:

Had a game last night where near the end of the second quarter, the visiting team's Right Tackle began to throw up. He first did it (that I noticed) after a play, and then did it when set at the line on almost every play until halftime (probably six or so consecutive plays). For what it's worth, we all could tell that it was almost all water. Our HL informed the coach who said that he wanted to leave him in the game because "we don't have anyone else to play that position" (though there were at least 20-25 players on the bench).

He continued to throw up frequently throughout most of the 3rd quarter, then either he stopped or I quit noticing.

My question is if consistent vomiting is considered to be an "injury" or at least falls under the communicable diseases, i.e. excessive blood, etc. rule?

I hated to see the kid suffer like that but I didn't know if I had a rule to back me up if I were to send him out, especially as this was a critical game with playoff implications for both teams.

Finally, unusual heat/humidity were not factors. Outside temp was low 60s and I live in the high desert so -14% humidity.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

I would have taken him out of this one. I mean it's not normal to be vomiting continuously unless there's something seriously wrong. By losing all this fluid the player is definitely becoming less hydrated. That's a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
"we don't have anyone else to play that position" (though there were at least 20-25 players on the bench).
What a boneheard remark by the coach.

Quote:
He continued to throw up frequently throughout most of the 3rd quarter, then either he stopped or I quit noticing.
I understand your question about rules but I'd say common sense needs to prevail on this one. Assuming you're not a medical professional realize this is not normal. I'm not a medical professional myself but I'm thinking this could be a result of a concussion of some magnitude. Not having experience in the world of medicine I would err on the side of safety on this one.

Quote:
I hated to see the kid suffer like that but I didn't know if I had a rule to back me up if I were to send him out, especially as this was a critical game with playoff implications for both teams.
I understand but the players well being is more important than any playoff berth. Next time take him out and no one will fault you for your decision, except this particular coach I guess.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Our crew chief is an attorney and reminds us on a regular basis of our liability during the game. If something was wrong with this guy and you let him continue to you play, it's possible you could be found negligent.

This is also why we are asked to enforce other safety rules as well as keeping coaches and players off the edge of the field. It's also why preventative officiating is important when play gets chippy. If you do nothing about this as an official and a melee breaks out with someone getting seriously injured, you could be found negligent.