The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Last night. Girls’ JV. Offensive rebounding action under A’s basket. Repeated shots won’t go down.

I’m lead, focused on post play and somehow I fail to see that there’s a B defender in apparent pain lying on the floor curled up on her side just outside the paint about half way up the lane. (I am concerned that my field of vision was so narrow; that's something I need to address.)

Be that as it may, the situation’s brought to my attention by shouting fans and B coach just as A finally gets a put-back to drop. We blow whistle and stop play to summon B coach, who verbally lays into my partner (only because he’s nearer the bench) for not stopping play sooner .

My tableside trail partner had observed the scenario and had withheld his whistle. His explanation to the coach was that A had scoring opportunities and that injured B was in no immediate danger, so play should continue.

Turns out that B had severely rolled her ankle.

Me? I’m wondering how I could not have seen her go down and secondly, should I have stopped play right away had I actually witnessed her fall and subsequent pain?

Not having been there, what do you think you would have done? How much of this would be a judgment call?

Sven
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

If the injury appears to be severe, stop play immediately. If not, stop play when A is not attacking or as soon as they put up a shot. Once the ball is shot, there's no team control. If the shot is good, count it, if it's missed, go to the arrow. Don't allow team A to attempt put back after put back until they score. Blow the whistle as soon as the ball is shot.

If you don't see it, you can't call it. you have to trust your partner to handle it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thumbs up

Well, said, TH. Exactly right.

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

what is a severe injury? If a player goes down with an ankle problem, I dont know if it is severe or not. If there is no danger to the player for getting hurt for a seond time why blow the play while there is no team control? If the player is laying underneath the basket in this scenario I will kill it so we dont compund the injury, but if the injury isnt going to be compounded why stop it? We dont interrupt fast breaks when a player has gone down. We wait until the ball stops, etc. I agree with the not attacking, not sure I agree with the stop it after a shot is taken.

Sven if youre worried about field of vision you need to step toward the sideline a step or two. widen up and use your peripheral vision.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If the injury appears to be severe, stop play immediately. If not, stop play when A is not attacking or as soon as they put up a shot. Once the ball is shot, there's no team control. If the shot is good, count it, if it's missed, go to the arrow. Don't allow team A to attempt put back after put back until they score. Blow the whistle as soon as the ball is shot.

If you don't see it, you can't call it. you have to trust your partner to handle it.
A slight disagreement -- if the shot is no good, I wait for the rebound, then blow the whistle -- no put back, but I give the ball to the team that got the rebound.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
what is a severe injury? If a player goes down with an ankle problem, I dont know if it is severe or not. If there is no danger to the player for getting hurt for a seond time why blow the play while there is no team control? If the player is laying underneath the basket in this scenario I will kill it so we dont compund the injury, but if the injury isnt going to be compounded why stop it? We dont interrupt fast breaks when a player has gone down. We wait until the ball stops, etc. I agree with the not attacking, not sure I agree with the stop it after a shot is taken.
5-8-2 Note
NOTE: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player's team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.

Sounds like what I wrote, doesn't it?

If you want to wait for a rebound, I can live with that but if the offense rebounds the ball in the lane, then they have another opportunity. If you're going to stop the play now, then that's no reason that you couldn't have stopped it before.

As far as what's severe, I'm probably not going to stop it unless I see blood, or the player appears to possibly be unconscious. I'll also stop it if the player is in immenient danger.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
A slight disagreement -- if the shot is no good, I wait for the rebound, then blow the whistle -- no put back, but I give the ball to the team that got the rebound.
Bob, in HS, I'm pretty sure that TH is exactly right. I just read a memo from Hank Nichols, however, who said that in NCAA games, we're now supposed to wait for the "completion of the play", which is defined so that the shot is not complete until it either goes in or is rebounded. That would be in total agreement with what you said.

But for NF purposes, I'm pretty sure that TH got it right.

Chuck