The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Working Linesman for the first time

I am working with a 5 official crew tonight. I will be working the chains. I have worked the Umpire, Line Judge, and Back Judge positions, but never the Linesman.

I would appreciate some last minute advice if anyone has any.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Similar duties, play wise, as line judge. Talk to your chain guys before the game and emphasize NO ONE MOVES without you telling them to. I tell the guys on the actual chain to "grow roots" while I will talk to the down box guy most of the time. Get the down box guy's name and talk to him after every play, but remember to tell him not to move unless you direct him.

At the end of the first and third quarters, unless the succeeding spot is a first down, write down on your card the down, distance, clip spot, and first down spot. Then, go grab the clip and flip the chain guys around, setting the clip at the appropriate yard line. Put the down box at his line, verify your information from the card and where you put everything, and then you are ready to rock.

I always get the chain guys back 6-8 feet minimum from the sideline. Tell them to let you know if they are having trouble moving downfield due to the bench, and then get the bench back if they do.

As far as field mechanics, talk to the back judge about receivers and who takes what. I'm not sure what mechanics you are working, so I don't want to get detailed in any suggestions. But if you've already worked line judge, you should have the basic flow down.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talk to your referee before the game and tell him that, at least for the first few series, you might need extra time getting the chain crew set up. Ask him not to signal the ready for play until you point to him. That will take a little pressure off at first and allow you to get into a rythm with the chain crew. I would even go so far as to blow my whistle and stop the clock if my WH signalled ready for play before they were set up right.

Watch the chain crew closely at first until you get comfortable that they are listening to you and following you lead. Ask the box man to wait for you signal before he changes the down and watch at first that he does.

If you spend a little extra time with them at first, it will pay divedends all night long. If you don't get problems straightened out at first, you'll have problems all night long.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

I always set the chains for a first down but I let the down box guy pick his spot for every other play. He can see and if you are comfortable with the spots he is picking then it will save you some time.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:28pm
Chain of Fools

NF has instructions you can print

Make sure you and the clip man (or box if he's clipping) are on the same page as which part of the line you have set the clip.

Check out the chain crew instructions on the NFHS page
http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...structions.pdf
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the good advice. All went well this evening.