The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I wanted to check and see if anyone had any resources and/or advice for Linesman mechanics. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I also posted to the McGriff board, so if you answer me there, then disregard this post.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

How many officials?
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Good question! I will be the linesman on a 5-man crew.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

For HS mechanics, go to NFHS.ORG. They have powerpoint presentations for 5-man mechanics.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Linesman and umpire can help each other.

Aloha Sleeper!

Here is how I like to work with the Head Linesman:

On most running plays from scrimmage, the HL and LJ will mark forward progress. If run ends between hashmarks U will obtain ball and mirror the forward progress with the closest wing official (HL or LJ) and spot the ball. HL and LJ hold the spot and dead-ball officiate while the U is spotting the ball and then return to their pre-snap positions.

On running plays that end in side zone, HL and LJ should obtain forward progress and place the ball at their feet. BJ will dead ball officiate, obtain new ball and relay to U. When U places new ball at feet HL or LJ will relay old ball to ball boy and return to their positions.

On penalties the HL will verify that the U is walking off the correct yardage and all enforcement is correct (loss of down, automatic 1st down, previous spot foul, basic spot foul, etc.). All officials should verify this and communicate the correct down and distance before the R marks the ball read for play.

Also, we need to communicate down and distance every play. We like to use signals for double stakes (so we don't kill the clock on a 3rd and 15 and the run ends after a 6 yard gain), A is going for it on 4th down, or K is attempting a field goal. These signals help get us mentally prepared for the next play.

Good luck this season!