View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Similar duties, play wise, as line judge. Talk to your chain guys before the game and emphasize NO ONE MOVES without you telling them to. I tell the guys on the actual chain to "grow roots" while I will talk to the down box guy most of the time. Get the down box guy's name and talk to him after every play, but remember to tell him not to move unless you direct him.

At the end of the first and third quarters, unless the succeeding spot is a first down, write down on your card the down, distance, clip spot, and first down spot. Then, go grab the clip and flip the chain guys around, setting the clip at the appropriate yard line. Put the down box at his line, verify your information from the card and where you put everything, and then you are ready to rock.

I always get the chain guys back 6-8 feet minimum from the sideline. Tell them to let you know if they are having trouble moving downfield due to the bench, and then get the bench back if they do.

As far as field mechanics, talk to the back judge about receivers and who takes what. I'm not sure what mechanics you are working, so I don't want to get detailed in any suggestions. But if you've already worked line judge, you should have the basic flow down.