The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Confusion in Case Book

When looking for verification on the DB unsportsmanlike penalties, I came across a play that I cannot understand in the Case Book.

5.1.2 SITUATION B: During A1's run for a first down to B's 20-yard line, B12 commits a nonplayer foul for a substitute entering the field during the down, but not participating. Immediately followin the down, A1 taunts an opponent. RULING: If accepted, the penalty for B entering during the down is enforced from the previous spot. After the decision in this foul, A will be penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct and A will have the ball for a new series, first and 10.

Now, for the life of me I can't understand how B's Illegal Substitution penalty will be enforced from the previous spot.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

This play was incorrect in the Case Book. NFHS issued a correction in the "NFHS Football Case Book Revisions/Clarifications" release in late August or early September. Here is the statement:

Page 32, 5.1.2 SITUATION B: During A1's run for a first down to B's 20-yard line, B12 commits a nonplayer foul for a substitute entering the field during the down, but not participating. Immediately following the down, A1 taunts an opponent. RULING: If accepted, the penalty for B entering during the down is enforced from the succeeding spot. After the decision in this foul, A will be penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct and A will have the ball for a new series, first and 10. (3-7-6; 9-5-1a).
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

It will be B's ball 1st and 10 from the 30 after enforcement of the non-player and USC fouls.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

GPC2: don't get me wrong here, it's not directed at you but don't you belong to a football officials association and have meetings?

What I'm getting at is your chapter officers specifically your duly elected chapter interpretor is supposed to pass these NFHS changes down to the troops. That's his job to get this information. If he doesn't get them from your state interpretor, then maybe it's time to elect some people who know what to do. Every year, updates and corrections are posted at the NFHS wen site.

That change along with quite a few others have been out for five or more weeks now.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
GPC2: don't get me wrong here, it's not directed at you but don't you belong to a football officials association and have meetings?

What I'm getting at is your chapter officers specifically your duly elected chapter interpretor is supposed to pass these NFHS changes down to the troops. That's his job to get this information. If he doesn't get them from your state interpretor, then maybe it's time to elect some people who know what to do. Every year, updates and corrections are posted at the NFHS wen site.

That change along with quite a few others have been out for five or more weeks now.
Unfortunately, this correction was never passed down (as far as I know). I will bring it up at our next meeting. I did miss two meetings in late summer, so maybe that was discussed, but I don't think so.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
Unfortunately, this correction was never passed down (as far as I know). I will bring it up at our next meeting. I did miss two meetings in late summer, so maybe that was discussed, but I don't think so.
Here's a link to the corrections: http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/09/2006...retations.aspx

Hope it works.