The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Head Coach wants to talk to R between periods

Fed Rules:

Head Coach wants to talk to the Referee between periods. The wingman denies this request and tells the Head Coach he must call a timeout. Speaking strictly from the book, is the wingman correct in denying this request. Need a rule reference or case play if you have one.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Typically, the request for a coach/referee conference is to discuss misinterpretation of a rule. You didn't mention why the coach requested the conference.

Some of you may disagree on this but we're in the "people business" and if it's to ask a question or comment on something the coach wants to call to my attention I would grant the request. If it's to complain then I might opt to deny the request. In fact, I tell coaches if they have a question I'll be glad to answer it so long as it doesn't disrupt the game. In between periods is a great opportunity to ask such a question.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 10:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think you are going to have to pass on letting the coach talk to the Referee unless the last play is at issue that ended the quarter. I agree that we are in the people business, but the rule is pretty clear. The other coach might not take too kindly to that conversation and point out that you are not following the rule. Maybe there is some kind of reference to this type of situation in the casebook (I will have to look to be sure), but I would not go out of my way to talk to the coach. Now if the coach holds a conference in the middle of the field (which usually does not happen), during the quarter break it is not out job to talk to the coach in that situation. If the Referee is doing his job, they are making sure the ball is spotted and getting ready for the end of the quarter break. If the coach has that big of a concern about a rules application then he should call a timeout to get a rules issue resolved.

Just my take on the situation.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think there is any prohibition in the rules against a Ref talking to a coach. This just happened to me on Friday. We had a roughing the kicker call a few plays prior to the change and he asked my LJ if he could go out and talk to me. LJ said no, but I'll see if he can come over to talk to you. After we set the ball and change, I went over. Coach wanted a clarification on whether we had a tipped ball. I went over the play, told him that neither the Umpire or myself saw or heard a tip. He was satisfied and we moved on.

I had no problem meeting with the coach in that scenario.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Parepat brings up an important point. Make sure your R goes over to the sideline to talk to the coach and do not let the coach come on to the field to talk to the R. If the R goes to the sideline, he can end the discussion and go back to the middle of the field. If the coach was allowed to come out, it is sometimes really hard to get him to leave. And, since you invited him out, flagging isn't a good option.

I really had to work with my WH to train him on this point.

Also, if you go over to talk to coach A, a quick trip over to update coach B will help a lot. As in: "Coach B, Coach A wanted to know if the pass was tipped. We assured him it wasn't" and then move on.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Also, if you go over to talk to coach A, a quick trip over to update coach B will help a lot. As in: "Coach B, Coach A wanted to know if the pass was tipped. We assured him it wasn't" and then move on.

Good point. Anything to ease the paranoia.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches are like vampires, then - never invite them into your house.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Nobody wants a long conversation, but i tell my crew COMMUNCIATION between ourselves, to the players and the coaches is very important. Being professional while doing it is important but as a former coach and player many yrs ago they appreciate it as well.

At work in the real world and on the field I am sure we can all agree that OPEN COMMUNICATION lines is very important to a job being well done.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

I tell the coaches in the pregame that we want to do a great job of communicating with them throughout the game. We will do our best to get them numbers, but sometimes it is tough if several players are around and we have to keep officiating throughout the rest of play. I tell them to ask our wings if they have a question and they will relay it to another official if needed. I would have no problem going over and talking to the head coach between periods, but would not talk to long. If the other coach had a problem with it, I'd tell him "this was his question, I answered it and we moved on and I'd do the same for him if asked."
In a coaches panal at a clinic I attended, all the coaches mentioned how their coaches and players appreciate communication.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo
Nobody wants a long conversation, but i tell my crew COMMUNCIATION between ourselves, to the players and the coaches is very important. Being professional while doing it is important but as a former coach and player many yrs ago they appreciate it as well.

At work in the real world and on the field I am sure we can all agree that OPEN COMMUNICATION lines is very important to a job being well done.
I always tell my crew that coaches want two things: 1- to vent ; 2- information. We don't let them go overboard in number 1 (a topic in itself) and in 2 we go overboard to help them.

Knowing that these are the top priorities helps the official understand the big picture and not get defensive about a coach.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Your wing men should be your liason for this and WH should feel comfortable as long as they are rule knowledgeable. I always answer questions on my side between plays but coaches want to have this chat session prior to the ball being snapped. Avoid this type of conversation as you it will break your complete concentration on the play at hand. As a WH, time out and we can talk.