The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Sniper scare at little league game. (turned out to be a vid cam)

Link to story

So I was refing little league games on Saturday. The games were at a local middle school and four fields were running five games each. I was white hat on field one which had 13-15 year old all day.

Halftime was just ending on my third game when a cop comes running out onto the field. He informs me that someone had been spotted on the roof of the school with what looks like a gun case. The cop asks me to clear my field of players and fans and move everyone to the parking lot. I then had to go stop a couple of the other games and have them move clear out.

The cops had three snipers in the parking lot with guns trained on the alleged sniper while several others climbed onto the roof. Turns out the guy up there snuck on the roof to tape his sons game and he wasn't carrying a rifle case but a video camera case and camp chair (which was in a sleeve). The cops made the guy get on the ground at gunpoint, cuffed him, and took him away. They ended up citing him for tresspassing.

The situation lasted about thirty minutes. About ten minutes after we'd started the games up again all four networks had camera crews at the field. three of the networks affiliates had helicopters overhead as well. The situation led the evening news on all four network affiliates.

Who says small ball never gets any press? lol
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 06:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGator8
Link to story

So I was refing little league games on Saturday. The games were at a local middle school and four fields were running five games each. I was white hat on field one which had 13-15 year old all day.

Halftime was just ending on my third game when a cop comes running out onto the field. He informs me that someone had been spotted on the roof of the school with what looks like a gun case. The cop asks me to clear my field of players and fans and move everyone to the parking lot. I then had to go stop a couple of the other games and have them move clear out.

The cops had three snipers in the parking lot with guns trained on the alleged sniper while several others climbed onto the roof. Turns out the guy up there snuck on the roof to tape his sons game and he wasn't carrying a rifle case but a video camera case and camp chair (which was in a sleeve). The cops made the guy get on the ground at gunpoint, cuffed him, and took him away. They ended up citing him for tresspassing.

The situation lasted about thirty minutes. About ten minutes after we'd started the games up again all four networks had camera crews at the field. three of the networks affiliates had helicopters overhead as well. The situation led the evening news on all four network affiliates.

Who says small ball never gets any press? lol

So the guy gets arrested so the police can save face. Pathetic.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I think the call went to 911 from someone at the game stating that, "there's someone on the roof with what looks like a gun" or something like that. I don't blame the cops for taking things seriously until they figured out what was going on. As it turns out they only cited the guy for tresspassing.

It was interesting to watch the reactions of the parents. Some of them grabbed their kids and fled at a dead run and others just stood around.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 03:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

I must have a weird sense of humor. That is a funny story. You mean to tell me someone thought there was a sniper just based on a camera? I know at the time it was not fun, but that is a good officiating story and a sign of the times.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Where are they when you need them?

I wish they'd come and arrest some coaches and fans some time.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I must have a weird sense of humor. That is a funny story. You mean to tell me someone thought there was a sniper just based on a camera? I know at the time it was not fun, but that is a good officiating story and a sign of the times.

Peace
They didn't see the camera, they just saw the case which included a tripod compartment and looked, from a distance, like something a rifle would be carried in.

Sign of the times indeed. With all the strange stuff going on in schools it wouldn't surprise me one bit if an adult went crazy at a football game and started shooting. I've seen some pretty nutty fans.

Eric