The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 20, 2002, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Nothing better to do this morning, so I thought I would comment on the site's lead story concerning the sniper attacks in the Central Atlantic region.

I don't know why the stories concerning these shootings are constantly aligned with D.C. as only one actual hit has occurred in D.C. Of course, D.C. allows them to bump the storyline a bit by pointing toward our nation's capitol as the "hot spot", which it really isn't for the purpose of the sniper attacks.

However, I think the folks at outdoor sporting events don't have much to worry about until some idiot reporter notes that no one has been shot at a sporting event.

BTW, if anyone is wondering how I feel about the press, let's say that I don't think they are on our side of any issue. "Our" side being the citizens of the United States.

JMHO,

Old Mon Oct 21, 2002, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

'BTW, if anyone is wondering how I feel about the press, let's say that I don't think they are on our side of any issue. "Our" side being the citizens of the United States.'

Which, of course, means they don't agree with your way of thinking.

Bob

Old Mon Oct 21, 2002, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
'BTW, if anyone is wondering how I feel about the press, let's say that I don't think they are on our side of any issue. "Our" side being the citizens of the United States.'

Which, of course, means they don't agree with your way of thinking.

Bob

Not necessarilly true, Bob. What I mean is that they take their alleged responsibility to report anything they can regardless of the circumstances such reporting may bring about. I'm a firm believer in freedoms supposedly guaranteed whether I benefit from or believe in them or not. You want to have a private club with restricted access, knock yourself out. You want to offer an opinion of how gays may be detrimental to some sports, that's your right. You want to go to the Hooters in Falls Church, VA with Geraldo and autograph their pants, no problem by me, it's your right to live your life as you see fit. You want to make a movie that scoffs at others, fine, that is your right.

Believe it or not, the citizens of this country to not have the "right to know" everything.

It was the press who questioned the sniper(s) marksmenship, bang, head shot.

It was the press who noted no children had been harmed, bang, child at school is shot.

It was the press who noted there were no weekend events, bang, someone is shot on a Saturday.

The media hides behind a false claim of responsible journalism only to report anything the next guy with a microphone or recorder hasn't gotten...yet. Of course, only now has law enforcement officials finally figured out that giving the press everything they want may not be such a good idea.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

JMHO,

Mike