The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 12, 2003, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Thumbs down

It was 11:00 AM this morning. I had just rolled out of bed (teenager for you). I got a call from the lunchlady at my school - they needed a referee at the church league game tonight. I figured, "ah, why not - it can't possibly be as bad as they make it out to be on the official's forum...."

How I ever could have thought that, I don't know.

Let's get the details: one church is consisted of my principal, teacher, classmates...out of a team of about 15, I only don't know 2. So there is automatic discomfort there.

Next, I'm the only official. Not only is this my first time going solo, this is my first time officiating adults and the people of my community.

Game is the roughest game I have ever seen. I could not believe it. It was like football, quite literally. So not only did I feel intimidated by me being the only referee, I was intimidated by the fact that these were full grown men (I'm 15 years old and I just finished my first season, cut me some slack). There was one call where my principal and a guy from the other team simultaneously knocked it out of bounds opposite from me. I did a shrug, and my principle points the other way, as to saying it was off of him. I point that way too, then I get two wise-asses behind me (from the other church, ironically): "Ooo...better listen to your principle....Ooo...better do what he says, he'll take you to the office....Oooo....better do what your principle wants, he'll change your report card" - really getting under my skin; naturally, they thought it was HILARIOUS. If they would have said one other comment after they finally did stop, I was going to stop the game, turn around, and say:

"Excuse me, gentleman, do you get the local paper? If not, you better, because at the rate you're going, you're going to have to read about the end of the game, 'cause you're not gonna see it."

Too bad I couldn't use it.

Game FINALLY ended.....then I did a game after that; wasn't HALF as bad, half as rough....still weird, considering I was refereeing some kids on the team that I played basketball against.

They did give me $25 bucks as I was walking out though (I volunteered to do it, so I was surprised). All the same...I think my church league days....er.....day began and ended within 24 hours.

-M
Old Sat Apr 12, 2003, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
I think my church league days....er.....day began and ended within 24 hours.
Definitely the best decision you could make at this point. Church leagues are past belief.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2003, 11:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Just one question - why does your school "lunch lady" have your home phone number?
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Just one question - why does your school "lunch lady" have your home phone number?
Could be his aunt!?

PS Any league that puts a 15 year-old in charge can't be taken seriously.
TX, Wait until you're at least out of HS to do games like this.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 07:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
All the same...I think my church league days....er.....day began and ended within 24 hours.

TXMATTHEW05,
Going solo is a tough way to break into a new league. Working for peers and elders makes it even tougher. No question you were in a "spot".

My advice is to continue and learn.

Get hold of another official in the league to find out how they customarily call the game.
With this being a recreational league, don't lose sight of the fact that the players want to be able to be uninjured for work the next day.
Perhaps you can call the game more tightly early on and the players will clean it up and make your game easier.

Does this league always work with one official, or is it possible that you could eventually have a partner?

You have the knowledge to work that game, and there is no better teacher than experience. Next time on that floor will be easier. The differences between that league and the leagues in which you are comfortable have a few varying parameters, but the game remains basketball.

Good luck.

mick

Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a T-shirt this weekend that said,
"Church Basketball--- The brawl that begins with prayer"
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Saw a T-shirt this weekend that said,
"Church Basketball--- The brawl that begins with prayer"
I like that! It's very funny. But I played a regular game of pickup ball with a bunch of church guys; every week for several years. Just "call your own foul" stuff. It was never a brawl. We stunk, we didn't know diddly about the rules. . . and we had a great time. Why ruin it by forming a league?
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 02:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
[i]
We stunk, we didn't know diddly about the rules. . . and we had a great time.[/B]
Not much changed when you became an official,eh?
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Ooooooooooooooo....
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It takes real talent to insult somebody and make them laugh at the same time! You're too much, JR.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Txmatthew05, I commend you for finishing the games. Do you want us the critique based on what you wrote?
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 11:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
It takes real talent to insult somebody and make them laugh at the same time! You're too much, JR.
It's your own fault for posting that,Chuckster.Talk about a "red flag in front of a bull".If I hadn't got ya,Slappy sureashell woulda!