The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Good point, thats an excellenet way to look at it. The infraction happened deadball, then we should have no problem killing it.

Anyway, this play will for sure be a part of my pre-game conference from now on.

Hope everyone is having a great season.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

I guess we're arguing over semantics here, with the result being the same.

My take is the deception (and therefore the foul) occurs prior to the snap, we just are unable to determine if it really is a foul until the snap. If they don't snap the ball, they obviously didn't deceive anyone so there is no foul. But, snapping the ball isn't what is illegal, it's all of the action that preceds the snap.

I can see what you're saying as well. Illegal motion, for example, is another penalty that is similar to this - - depending on whether or not and when the snap occurs we may or may not have a penalty. In the case of IM, you are right. The obvious question is if the penalty is simultaneous to the snap, why does the Fed have a different enforcement? A live ball UC is a succeeding spot foul which would be a huge incentive to go ahead and run plays like this. All I'm trying to say is instead of thinking about plays like this as exceptions that you have to remember, just consider it a dead ball foul that you caught when they snapped the ball.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, and I must say I am conflicted...if you make it USC but let the play go off you have to give them the TD don't you? I must admit I haven't had any of that kind of stuff. Under that scenario I would shut down the play, go 15 and charge it to the coach. By rule, deception is part of the game, however, those kind of plays have no basis in the spirit of the game. Just another opinion.