The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Dehydration slash Water Breaks

How do you guys handle Official-Initiated water breaks?

Saturday, we officiated a quadruple overtime 11-12 year old game (don't comment on the idea of OT at this age ... I didn't write the rules and I agree with you). It was 95 degrees and dead still. We had several kids throw up during this game, and both teams were down to less than what they started with.

After the 2nd OT, we stopped play and told the coaches to pull their kids to the side and make sure everyone got enough water. Just as we're about to pull them back onto the field, the announcer chimes in with, "OK folks, we're going to take a 10 minute intermission before the 3rd overtime!"

This was followed by my crew saying, "Oh no we're not! Get the kids back out here." Followed by, "How would you like it if they were you're kids!!!" and "I'm gonna kick your @$$" (followed by my first fan-ejection ever).

My first thought (after handling the ejection) was that if any of these kids sat down for 10 minutes and tried to play again, we'd be dealing with cramps, pulls, and sprains. I know that if I sat down for 10 at that point, I'd not have gotten back up (this was our 4th game in these conditions).

We were constantly reminding the coaches to get the kids enough water, and making sure they brought some out during any time out, even injuries - we were actually doing this all day for all 4 games. We took the extra break.

Thoughts? Concerns? Ways to handle differently?

Luckily, after OT3, both coaches agreed (contrary to the rules) that if they didn't resolve the tie after OT4, they'd call it a tie. One team was down to just 11 players left - not sure about the other sideline.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

My solution is...

never do non-school games. No one is responsible/liable for safety and common sense except the officials. Until the league gets everyone trained and certified in youth certification processes, I won't work it. My first year of FB officiating, I worked a youth league. The guy who hired us said, "Take care of that fan over there." This was before the game. Excuse me, but that is YOUR job. My job is dealing with coaches who think they are the next Vince Lombardi. There are two formats for youth sports: Developmental and Pro. Most fall under the latter format where they have names on jerseys, tons of trophies are given out and winning is primary. When you work those leagues, you know what you are going to get. The OT rule says it all for this league.

Just one man's opinion.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
never do non-school games. No one is responsible/liable for safety and common sense except the officials. Until the league gets everyone trained and certified in youth certification processes, I won't work it. My first year of FB officiating, I worked a youth league. The guy who hired us said, "Take care of that fan over there." This was before the game. Excuse me, but that is YOUR job. My job is dealing with coaches who think they are the next Vince Lombardi. There are two formats for youth sports: Developmental and Pro. Most fall under the latter format where they have names on jerseys, tons of trophies are given out and winning is primary. When you work those leagues, you know what you are going to get. The OT rule says it all for this league.

Just one man's opinion.
We've never really had a problem with the youth leagues around here. They take care of all of the non-football stuff so the officials don't have to. They take very good care of us between and after the games. Even on the ejection, I just told a coach who needed to go and they took care of it. My question(s) were more along the lines of the water situation than the ejection.